Chapter 27: Campfire Songs

This chapter was super fun to write. =) So... while I have your attention. I have a question for you all. I have two options for this story right now. Should I keep it going for a while, and stretch it out as long as I can, or would you guys rather a sequel? Just thought I would ask for your opinions. Anyhow, hope you like it! =D

************************************************************************************************************

Adrianna held her hands out by the fire in an attempt to warm herself up a bit. The temperature had dropped significantly since the sun had set, and it was all she could do to try to keep herself from freezing. All of her friends were gathered around the fire pit, singing and making s'mores. So far it had been a pretty fun day, and although Adrianna was drained from the wave jumping earlier in the day, she was not wanting to go to bed.

Her thoughts were interrupted when Tom finally stopped playing his guitar for a moment and Rupert spoke up, "Are you finally done serenading your girlfriend yet?"

Tom laughed at his friend. "I wasn't serenading her. Believe me; you would know if I was." He winked at Adrianna.

Adrianna shook her head at their antics. They had been goofing off since they had arrived back from the lake. It had been joke after joke for the past few hours now. Adrianna was sure that it probably wasn't going to end anytime soon. It was one thing she loved about having them all in the same place. It was always a good time.

"How about you play a song everyone knows the words to?" Valarie suggested.

"Yea!" Marisa added. "That way we can wake up the whole campground with our beautiful singing voices."

Tom laughed quietly before he placed a hand to his chin. "A song everyone knows, eh? Hmm... I wonder." He began to play the first few notes of a song Adrianna recognized right away. She could remember the days when she hated the song he was playing, but now she didn't mind it. The girl glanced at her friends, wondering if they had all picked it up as quickly as she did.

At the right time, Adrianna began to sing the words along with Tom and a few of the others, "Hey there Delilah what's it like in New York City? I'm a thousand miles away but girl tonight you look so pretty, yes you do. Times Square can't shine as bright as you, I swear it's true. Hey there Delilah, don't you worry about the distance, I'm right there. If you get lonely give this song another listen, close your eyes. Listen to my voice, it's my disguise; I'm by your side.Oh it's what you do to me..."

Adrianna found herself smiling ridiculously right about then as she glanced at Tom who still singing away the next few lines in the song with Ed, a huge smile plastered on his face as well. Adrianna remembered hearing this song once while Tom was away in California, and she couldn't help but think it was somewhat fitting. The girl thought back to then, and remembered how freaked out she had been when he was gone for all that time. But now that they had been through it already, Adrianna knew that they could do it infinitely more if they had to.

"...Hey there Delilah, I've got so much left to say, if every simple song I wrote to you would take your breath away, I'd write it all; even more in love with me you'd fall. We'd have it all..."

The girl zipped up her hoodie further as she waited for the part of the song she wanted to join in at, the part that she felt meant the most to her. It was the absolute truth, that much she knew. She took a breath before she jumped back in, "A thousand miles seem pretty far, but they've got planes and trains and cars; I'd walk to you if I had no other way..."

She rested her head against Tom's shoulder as he continued to play the song expertly. Adrianna often wondered how long it had taken him to master playing the guitar the way he had, but at the same time she figured it couldn't have been too hard for him. After all, Adrianna knew a lot of people who weren't nearly as intelligent as Tom who could play the guitar. After only about another half a minute or so, the song dwindled to an end.

Tom sat down his guitar next to his chair before kissing Adrianna on the top of her head. "Let's let our vocal cords rest a bit, shall we?" he suggested.

"Well, while we have everyone here, I was wondering what everyone wanted to do tomorrow. That way we're all on the same page," Adrianna brought up, stretching her arms slightly. "We could go check out some of the waterfalls, or just hang around here, or we could go to the lighthouse... you know whatever you guys want to do sounds good to me."

Adrianna watched her friends silently for a moment before any of them spoke. "Can we go to Tahquamenon?" Valarie asked.

"Sure! Why not?" Adrianna answered her. But when she received confused looks from the majority of her friends, she decided to add, "Tahquamenon Falls consists of two large waterfalls; they're the biggest waterfalls in Michigan."

"I wanna go!" Marisa interjected, nearly jumping out of her chair when her marshmallow caught on fire. "Please?"

"I already said we could go," Adrianna laughed. "Is that okay with everyone else?" Everyone else nodded in agreement, so Adrianna silently thought about what they should be doing to prepare for that. "Well, if that's the case we shouldn't stay up too much later, and bathe if we need to. We'll have to leave here early so we don't waste half the day away trying to get there. Sound good?"

"Sounds great," Matt finally added his input. "So basically we need to get a move on if we want to get out of here at a reasonable time?"

"Pretty much," Adrianna answered. "Figure if we leave here by ten, we can get there before noon, and we can do that, maybe hit up the bear park too, and then we can come home. And if we get home at a reasonable time, we could eat dinner at Dunes."

"Oh my God, yes!" Valarie screamed. "We have to do that! I'm craving their pizza so bad right now! Even if it does give me heartburn later on."

Adrianna shook her head at the thought. "But it's so delicious we don't mind."

"Exactly!" Val added.

"It's that good?" Rupert asked, always ready to try out new food, especially if it was as delicious as the girls were making it out to be.

Adrianna nodded. "Absolutely the best pizza ever. And the best food up here, too."

"Well, it sounds like we'll be trying out this place when we get back," Sam said. "But I think I agree; we have to start heading to bed so we actually get up in the morning."

After a few mutters in agreement, the group all started to stand up and head slowly to bed. Adrianna stood there, waiting patiently for Tom to finish putting out what was left of the fire before the two of them headed off to their tent. Once inside, Adrianna laid her head down on her pillow as Tom shut up the tent for the night. He joined her a few moments later and snuggled up next to her underneath their sleeping bag. Adrianna felt at ease with his arm wrapped around her.

"Tomorrow should be a lot of fun," he said quietly.

"It should be if it all goes according to plan," Adrianna admitted. "It's really a beautiful place, especially if the falls aren't partially dried up like they were last time I went. But it's been a relatively wet year so I think we'll be seeing it the way it should be."

"Either way, I'm sure it's gorgeous," Tom answered her. "Just like you."

Adrianna felt her cheeks flush pink. It was one thing that hadn't changed since they had been together. Any time Tom complimented her like that, Adrianna found herself blushing. He said the cutest things sometimes.

"Aweee, thanks Tom," she said back in a whisper.

"You're very welcome, Dree," he replied. "Good night, darling. I love you, and I'll see you in the morning."

"Love you too Tom," Adrianna smiled. "See you in the morning."

The girl closed her eyes, and soon drifted off to sleep. It was a good thing too, since Adrianna definitely knew that the next day was going to be absolutely crazy and epic, not to mention long and tiring. She was going to need all the rest she could get.