My Life, in Ruins -Chapter eight-

For the next month everything was perfect -- a little too perfect. 
Ian and I went public with whatever we were and that caused quite the scandal in school, but everyone handled it pretty well; everyone but Priscilla of course. She liked to make rude comments under her breath, but nobody really paid her any mind anyways, not since I snapped her head off at that practice. My mom had stopped being up my ass all the time because a.) I brought home a nearly perfect report card (Ian’s tutoring had really paid off) and b.) I was rarely home anymore. Of course, she thought I was at my new incredibly gorgeous, and sweet best friend Jessica’s house, which wasn’t entirely false, I just didn’t add the part about screwing her just as gorgeous brother.
Carl had stopped being up my ass all the time; after Ian and I went “public” he kind of got the picture. That doesn’t mean that I don’t seem him sulking in the hallways or that he doesn’t still send me a text once a week that says “hey, what’s up?” but its progress none the less. And then there is my father. He called me once and said mom had told him about my improving behavior. He went on to tell me how proud he was and how he missed me and I told him to kiss my ass and hung up; we haven’t talked since then nor has he tried to contact me again. And that leave my imperial, and favorite little habit. I haven’t cut since the day before Ian had convinced me to come home with him after the game and I felt good, better than good, and I think my cheering has actually improved.
I also got over my little sleepover phobia, much to Ian’s thrill. I’ve literally only slept in my bed twice since that first sleepover and I think his parents think I moved in; its creepy how easily they’ve accepted me. And that all leads up to now…

My alarm clock went off and I rolled over to turn on the snooze only to discover that it wasn’t my alarm clock that had been ringing, but my phone. I fumbled with the buttons and then answered groggily.
“Hello?”
“Bree, hey.” It was Ian.
“Hey?” I replied. “What time is it?”
“Six o’clock on the dot.” He said.
“Why the hell are you calling me at six am?” I asked. “I don’t have to be up for another hour.”
He chuckled and then blew into the phone. “Sorry, but I had to tell you that we aren’t going to make it home as soon as we thought.”
I didn’t reply. Ian and his family had left the day before to visit his dad’s dad whom had gotten sick and admitted into the hospital. They were only suppose to be running up there to make sure he was okay and then coming back.
“Why not?” I asked, becoming very disappointed.
“My grandpa is really sick, they don’t think he’s going to last very long so they said that if we wanted to stay with him, he might only last a few more days.”
I took this in. “Oh.” Was all I said.
Why was I feeling bitterness towards his grandpa for getting sick? It wasn’t his fault; but I had never been away from Ian for this long and thinking about it now, I wasn’t sure how I was going to handle myself.
“Are you okay?” Ian asked.
I felt bad because I should have been the one asking him that, but I couldn’t because I was in a slump.
“Yea, I guess.” I said, my voice cracking from sleep.
“Please don’t do that.” He begged.
“Do what?” I asked.
“Be sad. It’s making me feel bad, and I already feel bad. I want to be there with you more than anything, but I have to be here.”
I swallowed my bitterness to my best ability. “I know, but I’m not going to be able to see you, and that sucks.”
“It does,” He admitted. “But I miss you terribly.” He added, sounding so sweet I nearly melted.
“You better.” Was how I replied.
I guess I haven’t really gotten to the mushy stage yet, but I was trying.
“So I feel really bad asking this, but my parents don’t trust anyone else.” Ian began.
“With?” I prompted.
“To be at our house alone.”
“And why would I be at your house alone?” I asked.
“Because we need someone to take care of Butch; no correction, I need you to go get Butch and bring him home with you until I get back.”
I shot up in bed. “You’re kidding right?”
Ian laughed and I relaxed. Whew, he was just joking.
“Unfortunately, I’m not. Like I said, they only trust you, and he really needs someone to go get him. He’s never been left alone for more than twenty-four hours before.”
My eyes bugged out of my head. “But I’m terrified of that dog!”
He chuckled this time. “I know, but he needs you, Bree.”
“Well I don’t care!” I protested. “He can starve to death, I’m not going to get him.”
“Bree,” Ian whined. “You’d let my dog starve to death? My dog?”
“But, but…” I whined back. “He’s scary.”
“He’s harmless. Has he been mean to you once since you’ve been at my house?”
I thought about this. He really hadn’t, but his massive size was pretty terrifying.
“Please, do it for me and I’ll make it up to you when I get back.”
“Do you promise?” I asked.
“I promise.”
I sighed, “Fine. But just because you’re so fucking cute.”
I knew he would be smirking right about now. “I’ll go pick him up after school; which I’m up for an hour early no thanks to you.”
Ian chuckled again and then yawned. “Well I need to get some sleep. We were at the hospital all night.”
I felt guilty then. “Oh jeez, I’m sorry Ian. Are you okay?”
“Yea, I’m okay. Thanks for asking. It’s my dad I’m worried about.”
“Well wish him my best, get some sleep.”
“Yes maim, night.” He whispered.
“Night,” I said back and then hung up.