Edge of Great

"You can't hide forever ghosties," Carlos was saying, as he walked around with a device. "Gotcha!" he shouted, and the lights clicked on.

"For the last time, mijo. Ghosts are not real," Aunt Victoria stated hands on her hips.

"Typical adult," Reggie shook his head. Kat sighed. "Do you remember when we were kids and they never believed what we said,"

"Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's just a 'you' thing," Alex said. "I was always pretty trustworthy,"

"Yeah, me too," Kat said. "My mom wouldn't really yell at Jimmy or I. Unless I pulled one of my stupid pranks on him and he cried like a baby about it," she rolled her eyes.

"Shouldn't we be more worried about Julie?" Luke asked.

"Yeah, guys. Luke's right. Julie's busted,"  Kat frowned.

"Yeah. Her dad just busted her, okay? He's probably making her quit the band," Luke said.

"I hope not," Kat sighed.

"Well there's not much we can do about that now, but...we can still help Carlos," Reggie exclaimed. "Adults not believing children ends tonight. Showtime," he said, turning off the lamp next to him. Kat groaned.

"Reg," she whined. "Not now—"

Reggie ignored her.

"I haven't seen them. I—" Carlos paused. "Ghosts aren't real huh? How do you explain that?" he asked his aunt.

"Light bulbs burn out all the time, Carlos,"  Victoria reasoned.

"Ooh! Wrong answer, tia," Reggie stood up, moving to the blinds. "Explain this," he said, moving them up and down.

Victoria shakily held her nephew. "Maybe it's my mom!" Carlos said. "She knows I haven't been replacing the toilet paper!"

"Your mama would never scare us. This is the work of a demon!" Victoria said.

Kat laughed loudly. "Reggie's a demon!" she teased, earning a glare from her boyfriend. Kat stopped laughing.

"Hey. Words hurt," Reggie said, stopping the blinds.

"Wait! I gotta get it in video!" Carlos set up his camera.

"Yeah you do!" Reggie said. "Time for an old classic." he lifted a white sheet from the laundry basket, and put it over himself.

Victoria screamed in terror, and Carlos frowned. "Dang, it was in selfie mode," he said. Victoria pulled him out of the room. Reggie laughed, and fixed his hair.

"Whew!" he yelled, plopping onto the couch next to his girlfriend, his head landing on her lap. She rolled her eyes, and ran her fingers through his hair.

Reggie looked over at the boys who were glaring at him with their arms crossed.

"Do you have any idea what you've done?" Alex asked.

"Yeah, I do. I've defended every kid who's never been believed. Some might say I'm a superhero," Reggie said, proudly.

"Yeah, a real hero you are. What would your superhero name be? Ooh. Leather-Man." Kat teased, and Reggie lifted his head from her lap to glare at her. She giggled and kissed his head.

Reggie looked at the boys again, his eyes widened. "We should probably hide before Julie finds out, huh?" he said, quickly removing himself from his girlfriend's lap, and running to the studio. Luke, Kat, and Alex looked at each other before following.

*

The next morning, Reggie and Kat found themselves in the kitchen with Ray.

"I've got a spark in me hands up if you can see." Ray sang as he cooked breakfast.