I Can't Breathe

"Kat?" Reggie asked, walking into the studio, his voice laced with concern. Kat was playing a few chords on Julie's piano. She hadn't heard him come in.

Her back was turned to him, her hair tied into a ponytail, with the same blue bandana she wore tied into a headband. She stopped playing for a second, and scribbled something down on a page in a notebook she'd found lying around.

When Kat began playing again, she sang along.

"Somebody get me a hammer
Wanna break all the clocks and the mirrors
And go back to a time that was different
A time when I didn't feel like there was something missing
Now my body and mind are so distant
Don't know how to escape from this prison
How can I free my mind?"

Kat's eyes were closed.

"Cause I can't breathe
I can't breathe
I can't breathe
I can't breathe
I can't breathe
Ooh, ooh, ooh
I can't breathe"

Her sobbing only began when the thought of Reggie, her father, and Julie popped into her mind. She was way too overwhelmed.

"How can I live in the moment
When my thoughts never feel like my own and
Don't know how to admit that I'm broke
How can I be alright?"

She was shaking now, but she managed to play all the notes right.

"Cause I can't breathe
I can't breathe
I can't breathe
I can't breathe
I can't breathe
Ooh, ooh, ooh
I can't breathe
I can't breathe
I can't breathe
I can't breathe
I can't breathe"

Reggie softly smiled at her crinkled nose as he got closer. "Kat," he said, this time getting her attention. She looked up at him, and when he saw the redness of her eyes, his heart broke. "Kat, hey. What is it?" he asked. Reggie knew the answer. He was a jerk the last couple of hours. He was upset. He was upset that Kat told her father not to go over an talk to him. Reggie really wanted to talk to Kat's father. But...Reggie was also scared. He was scared of what Luke had said, because the truth is, Reggie does love Kat. He loved her so much, but it wasn't something that he could just say.

"Reggie, do you know what I thought when you and I started dating?" he looked at her with tears beginning to glaze his own eyes. "I thought 'wow. Reggie. What a perfect boy? What an amazing friend? He sees me. He really sees me. I want him to care for me forever.' But Reg, you know what you did last night? You acted as if I didn't exist. Just like my brother had always done to me when I was little. You put on this act, and for what? What did I do to make you act like that? Did I—" Kat sucked in a breath, and Reggie placed his hands onto hers. "And Julie. She's mad, and my dad. Wow, seeing my dad again. How is it even po-possible? I-I-I," Kat began to breathe heavily, sobs wracked her entire body, and she couldn't stop crying.

"Kat," Reggie stiffened beside her, kneeling down next to the piano bench before he stood up again. "Breathe, baby, breathe," he said. She shook her head, she couldn't. "Listen to me...uh..." Reggie began to panic. What is he supposed to do in this situation? His girlfriend was having a full blown panic/anxiety attack, and he didn't know how to stop it. He did this first thing that popped into his mind, grabbing her face and placing his lips on her own.

Kat wrapped her arms around her boyfriends' neck, feeling the bubble of anxiety finally leave her stomach.

"Th-thank you," she whispered. He kissed her again.

"I wanted to meet your dad," he said, when they pulled away, and Kat's breathing was now even. He was only telling half of his reasoning for his acting out.

"What?" Kat chuckled, wiping her tears. "Why?"

"Well, who else am I going to get permission from when I ask to marry you one day? We're ghosts," Reggie shrugged.

Kat's eyes widened. "You wanna get married? Can ghosts get married? I hope ghosts can get married—"

"Kat!" Reggie laughed, trying to help her with her rambling. "Yes, Kat, of course I want to marry you. I didn't mean to be...a jerk,"

"That's one word to call it," Kat glared at him.

"So you were jealous then?" he asked. "Cause, in all honesty, I just wanted to see exactly how jealous I could make my girlfriend," he joked, earning a slap from Kat.

"You're an idiot," she teased. "And if you really want to meet my dad, I guess we could visit him," she smiled at her boyfriend. He held her in his arms.

"That song was really incredible, Kat," Reggie sighed.

"Yeah?" she asked. He nodded. "Thanks I—" Kat was cut off by an aching in her abdomen. She winced, and Reggie looked down at her with wide eyes. "I'm fine...probably just the stress wearing off," she smiled. He nodded. "Can we dance?" she asked, and Reggie chuckled.

"Anything for you, babe," he replied, waltzing her around the room.

*

Aw, forgiveness because Kat can't live without her favorite dork, Reggie.

Also...Caleb do be kinda sus...

(I've been playing too much 'among us,' kill me)

Kat is starting to feel the pain...

I know a lot of you are wondering why he would give her the stamp...well......we'll just have to see what happens!

-Angelina