Finally Free (part two)

"Hey, you uh, you got a second?" Alex asked Julie, who was ignoring him. She proceeded to do her homework, acting like the three ghosts weren't there.

"Oh my gosh she can't see us anymore!" Reggie exclaimed, worried. Alex and Kat both gave him a look, and Reggie's eyes lit up. "Oh. Right. Yep." he said, popping the 'p.'

Alex walked over to Julie. "Julie, please," he said. Kat sat down beside the girl, who looked up at Alex.

"I already told you that i'm done with the band." Julie said.

"Yeah, we know, all right? But before you decide that forever, we just...we wanted you to know that Luke isn't as selfish as you think he is," Alex explained.

"Yeah, you've got him all wrong," Reggie replied.

"You remember that song 'Emily'? Can we at least show you who that's actually about?" Alex asked. Julie looked between Reggie and Alex, as Kat's eyebrows furrowed. She wanted to know too.

The four left Julie's house, and ended up in Luke's front yard.

"So, Emily's his mom?" Julie asked.

"Yeah," Reggie said. The four friends hid behind bushes so that Luke wouldn't see them.

"Yeah, Luke comes here a lot." Alex said.

"He thinks we don't know but we've been following him," Reggie admitted. Kat frowned.

"Why didn't you guys tell me?" she asked. She considered Luke to be her older brother, and the fact that she didn't know how much he was hurting was really bothering her. Reggie gave her a soft smile, and nudged her side.

"We didn't want you to worry. You go all 'mom' when you're worried," Alex replied.

"I do it because I care," Kat explained, fake crying with a hand on her heart.

"All he does is just hang out like this and watch them." Reggie said. "They never really do anything though,"

"They're having cake. That's something." Julie reasoned.

"It's a...it's a birthday cake. For Luke," Reggie said. Kat's fake crying began to turn into real tears. Her eyes glazed over, and she sniffled.

"It's Luke's birthday?" she asked. "I had no idea," she felt really terrible.

"You couldn't have known," Reggie told her. "It's not your fault,"

"I never knew Luke was hurting this much," Julie said.

"You and me both, sister," Kat whispered.

"Yeah. It's even worse because when he died he...left on bad terms. You know his parents didn't want their 17-year-old in a rock band so...he just left. He never got the chance to make up with them." Alex explained.

Kat watched as Luke neared his father lighting the candle on his birthday cake. He blew it out, shocking his parents.

"That's why Luke was so angry. If Trevor has given Luke credit for writing all the songs, then...his parents would've known his dream was worth chasing." Reggie said, bringing Kat's smaller figure into his arms. She sighed.

"They would've been..." Kat said, and Julie smiled over at her to finish.

"So proud," Julie said.

The grieving couple inside the house held hands as they blew out Luke's birthday candle together. Luke had tears in his eyes, as did Julie.

"We know how bad it hurts whenever someone that should've had your back...completely let's you down. We never meant to make you feel that way." Alex said.