Luna's Sorrow

"I heard you came from another pack, how did you cope with this, when you arrived?" Elaine  waved her hand dismissively.

Jessica smiled sadly leading them up the stairs. "it was hard at first. Especially when your mate makes it so obvious that no matter the situation, he will always pick his sister's side.

When I arrived, I tried to assert my position as luna. I tried to make her respect me as her new luna." she laughed remembering, "That was the only time I've ever seen Jude mad, so mad! And he was mad at me. He told me I should be the one to my place, if I came here to look for power, I should leave. He won't stop me.

I cried the whole night, but he still wouldn't budge. Not a single strain of pity for his sobbing mate. I thought why would my mate be so cruel to me! What did I do to deserve this. When I asked him why he was acting that way, he told me I tried to hurt his pup!"

" Then he made it very clear that if I wanted to be his true luna, I needed to care for the things he did. That ever since their parents left them, his wolf recognises Marie as his pup. And even if

I was his mate, his wolf will protect its pup from me. To him, Marie is harmless, and everyone else is the danger. And until I saw things his way, he doesn't consider me his mate."

"that's just plain weird-creepy! No wolf has the power to resist his mate." Paul scoffed.

"that's what I thought at first, and I was so furious that my mate chose his sister over me! But, I already loved him, and whether we liked it or not, we were mates. So, I decided to put up with it and swallow my pride. I put up with her whims and boy! She made it so hard for me, but I eventually got the hang of it."

Jessica laughed, "what's worse, nobody would tell me why they put up with her obscene behaviour. They all just seem to...go with it.

It was a month later, that my mate decided to mark me, my perseverance was finally rewarded, and finally I could tap into his emotions, and thoughts. Barely ."

"He waited that long?!" Paul almost chocked on his saliva. "when you meet your mate, it's so intense, your wolf can barely stand any separation without going on defence mode looking for his mate trying to protect her. Especially without the mark. That guy must think very little of you." Paul shook his head in disapproval.

Jessica took offence, "No he doesn't! Jude is a very strong wolf, even after he marked me, he still guarded his thoughts and emotions from me because he thought he still couldn't trust me fully. It hurt, but I still understood because you don't get to choose your mate, or the kind of person that he or she is." Jessica defended.

"Even so, I still got an inkling of what went through him. He was already on defence mode when I met him, his mind is always on her! He makes his territory safest for her, he makes sure the pack never lacks anything for her, " Jessica started to sob, as they stopped in front of a room which Jessica points to.

Elaine assumes that to be hers and Paul's room and invites Jessica in.

" please come in a minute. I want to listen."

Jessica smiles, thankful that for once there's someone who's willing to listen to her without judgement, "Thank you."

She enters and sits on the bed Elaine joining her.

Paul goes and sits on a loveseat  near the bedrooms window.

"continue please." Elaine urged.

Jessica sniffed then continued. "Jude has never left his territory not even once, ever since he stepped in as alpha. Because he can't take her with him, and neither can he leave her behind. He works so hard, to make sure she's fed, and clothed."

She sniffs smiling. "The moon goddess forbid she decides to step out, you have no idea how many wolves will trail her! Sometimes, him included!"

"you should hate her!" Elaine said without remorse.

"when he walked into a room, and sees her seated calmly, without a worry, I could practically feel all tension leave his body. And that was the only time I could actually see him smile. Genuinely. I wanted to hate her, I really did, but whenever I saw my mate smile like that, and then start playing with her like he was not as old as he looked while working, or like, life is not so horrible after all, it warmed my heart to the core. And I actually think, thoughts and feelings like that, is why he decided to complete the mating process with me."

Elaine looked at her with pity, "being second is never a good feeling," she threw Paul a scathing look. "yours feels worse because it's another girl. But the concept is the same."

Jessica laughed, "you don't say."

"really, look at him, you think he's listening to your sob story? Nooo! He's wondering where my brother is and what he's doing! He's like a jealous wife wondering if her husband is somewhere else doing what not, with another woman."

Jessica was now laughing full on.

"forgive me Jessy-"

"Jessica, only she, calls me Jessy, particularly because I hate it."

"how do you put up with her!"

"because, after Jude and I completed our mating, everything fell into place."

"really? He now started putting you first?!"

"no! She's still the last thing on his mind before he goes to sleep and the first thing he thinks about when he wakes. He actually checks on her at least five times a night."

Elaine frowned prompting Jessica to explain. "from the day Marie was born, Jude has always had the protective complex over her. When she came to her wolf, her wolf was always so tender and loving, but Jude always tried to toughen her up so that people wouldn't take advantage of her so much, but she was happy that way. It always infuriated him that people didn't see her goodness and appreciate her for the gentle soul that she was. Even her mother. After their parents left and... Things changed, Jude was convinced that no one really loved her. So, he loves her with the intensity of a thousand men. Like a father, like a mother, a sister, a brother, a best friend... Heck! I'd even say a lover, but that would just taint the image of that kind of love." Jessica laughed sarcastically.

"it's the purest form, the kind that not just anyone can give. unconditional love. The kind that all you do is give, and give, and never expect anything in return." Jessica says with emotion. "Not even gratitude."

Jessica stands up and says with conviction, "not even mates can do that for each other!" she turns and leaves the room, behind her, Paul and Elaine look at each other puzzled.

She was right, not even mates could do that without eventually getting tired.

"damn!" was all Paul could say.

se-se101,
Read, comment, vote.
Love y'a, :-$