Reasons.

Jax ran down the stairs. Following his father's trail, which led past the sitting lounge, the games room, the library, to the furthest end of the corridor, which ended up at a door.

Why he was following, he himself didn't know and he wasn't about to analyze his his intentions. But for some unknown reason, he was opening the door where his father's and the girl's scent had led him to.

It was a study, opposite the door where he stood was a large mahogany desk, by the scent of it, his father was sitting behind it. Opposite him, the girl sat in one of two chairs, one near a sofa that aligned one end wall that had a huge window that ran the span of the wall. The opposite wall was a cabinet shelf with neatly arranged documents stacked on it.

He closed the door gaining their attention. The girl was laughing hysterically over something, but then stopped, with his entrance.

He went and sat down on the sofa which apparently was L-shaped and ended just behind the door.

His father was smiling, which was something he never did with people who weren't family.

"do you need something son?" he asked amusement still thick in his gaze.

"nope!" he answered getting comfortable at the L's corner.

They were both looking at him waiting, but Jax just sat there, like there was nothing off about his presence.

"you sure?" his father persisted.

"yap!" he answered staring out the window not looking at them.

"oh, Marie, meet my son. Jax " his father introduced.

"wow!" Marie said in amazement, "he looks just like you!... But much more handsome." she said, then blushed, then giggled .

For another strange reason, Jax felt his heart rate pick up. But he still didn't look.

He heard the scraping of a chair against the floor like someone was moving while still seated on a chair.

Someone pushed at his leg.

"Hey!" she whispered.

He still resisted the urge to look, remembering how those molten brownish orbs rendered him motionless before, just by looking into them, he didn't want to know the reason why.

She pushed harder, whispering a little louder. "Hey, you!"

He looked where she pushed. She was using her leg to nudge at him. Studying the situation, was she trying to be subtle? Her chair was already way past halfway across the empty space between the desk and the sofa! And what, his father wasn't supposed to notice she was coaxing his son?!

That didn't occur to her, now that she had gotten his attention, she whispered, "I'm single, and you?" she winked. "am not usually nice, but for you, I'll purr like a little kitty!" she said in all serious flirty-ish-ness.

His father burst out laughing while he just squirmed uncomfortably. This situation was so wrong in so many levels!

One, those words should be so wrong coming out of the mouth of, how old was she, twelve? Two, he shouldn't even be entertaining her, at all, but there he was. And three, what was that elusive scent that he just can't pin down.

While still deliberating with himself, a body plopped on his laps, hands locking around his neck in a tight vice, burying her face at the crook of his neck.

He was confused, usually when a she wolf made such a move on him, his first instinct is usually to throw them off him. But twice now the girl clung on to him, and the thought never even crossed his mind. Another thing, his wolf is ever on alert, and people touching him out of the blue, is never a good thing. He would snap at anyone who dared and even his family knew that. So why was his wolf eerily quite?

He noted that the girls breathing had gone even, indicating she had fallen asleep, though her grip remained as tight as ever.

"adorable right?" he heard his father say. "makes you want to protect her with your life."

He looked up at his father.

"you look confused." his father noted.

The frown on Jax' face only intensified.

"ask!" his father ordered.

"I wouldn't know what to ask." he replied. On second thought, "what's that scent? I mean, she is an omega, I smell that, but not exactly, there's something else. Something elusive, yet familiar." he gushed out.

His father smiled standing up, "that is the scent of the ultimate Omega. Only us superior wolves can scent it."

Jax looked even more confused, but his father stocked out of the room, leaving him hanging, just like that.

Jax laid his head back, thinking, but the even heart beating against his, brought him peace thus lulling him to sleep.

*****

"Oh my god! Dude!"

Jax was spooked awake. "sh! Shhhh!" was the first thing he said, even with his sleep clogged mind.

"what the fuck dude!" Paul whisper exclaimed.

"I said shut up!" Jax whisper yelled.

"what are you doing, I didn't know you were into that pedo shit! Why are you cuddling her like that!" Paul never really knew when to shut it.

But looking down how he was holding her, he wondered how and when he got so comfortable. The girl was practically lying on top of him, his back lying on the L corner of the couch, his legs propped up.

The girl shifted on top of him and he stiffened. He heard something akin a purr as she snuggled further into him.

His wolf was now alert and awake from the sound.

"what was that!" even Paul had heard it. There was another purr, this time louder, coming from the girl.

Jax touched her to wake her and felt something strange, a bolt of electric current shot up his am and he went still.

That woke her up! And she sat up straight like a zombie coming from the dead. Blinking up at him, clueless, still seated on his lap.

"MARIE! " someone shouted before the door burst open with so much force it cracked.

" WHAT'S GOING ON HERE!!!"

se-se101
Read, vote, comment.
Thanx ;-)