Chapter 29

Mom wouldn't stop looking at Seb intensely. Even after we settled her in and Hameedah made lunch for her. She has been looking at him without blinking. And when he caught her, she'd pretend she wasn't looking at him. It was getting awkward and Sebastian was getting uncomfortable.

  "Mom, Seb is gay." I blurted joining my hands to make a clap sound. The relief on her face was priceless. It showed so evidently. Hameedah shrieked, her voice unrecognizable. And Seb, his mouth just dropped open in shock.

  "Oh really?" My mom's voice showed so much relief that it was worth it. Then I knew what she was thinking. She didn't mind that Seb was gay as long as we are not in a kind of live in relationship. No mom, especially African would appreciate their daughter living with a man she's not married to, definitely not mine. Too soon to dictate how to live my life and too soon to be judgemental, also too soon to act like she has been there for me my whole life but all that didn't matter as long as she didn't openly complain.

  Before Seb could deny, Hameedah quickly chirped, "yes and his boyfriend is in America. His name is Octavius." Why did she give a non existent boyfriend an actual name? And Octavius? Where does she come up with these things? She loves drama but I didn't think she'd enjoy this kind of drama so much.

  "Yes yes." I quickly said and Seb hasn't recovered from the shock yet. He just stood there his mouth half open. "Sebastian, you're gay right?" I asked him tersely.

  He shook his head furiously as if to clear his head. "Yeah, of course I'm totally gay." He said gritting his teeth. He was still in shock but mischief twinkled in those eyes of his as he pulled me up.

  "Mom, see you in a sec." I told her to avoid any suspicion.

He slammed the door to his room and locked it in place. "What are you..." The words were muffled as he crashed his lips on mine. Whoa, I certainly wasn't expecting that. I kissed him back immediately. We soon had to pull back for some air.

  "Seriously?" Here comes the scolding.

  "I couldn't think of anything else. I'm sorry." I opened my arms with a fake smile and counted my steps towards him. He didn't want to hug me so I pouted and gave him the best puppy dog eyes.

  "Don't do that." He said tersely but he wasn't angry maybe just a little upset. His next words made my arms fall limply to my sides. "Are you ashamed of me?" Why would he think something like that?

  "No, never." I said in my defence. How do I explain this to him? I pulled him into my chest my fingers running through his hair. "I'm not ashamed of you. You have big muscles and a cute face." I punched his forearm as I tried to cheer him up a little. He laughed but turned serious again.

  "You could have said mom, meet my boyfriend or something like that." He was acting like a petulant child.

  "Imagine we are in reverse mode, like you're me and I'm you," I began gesturing between us with my hands, "your African mom came to visit you and you're with me when we are not married. She's going to freak out and she wouldn't trust me. Then she'll take you away from me." Did that make sense? Yeah I guess.

  "Oh so that's what this is about. But you're twenty two." He complained.

  "Still not married to you." I said matter of factly. I wanted to add, this is not America but I decided not to.

  "Then let's get married." He said and I laughed it off. It was just Seb being Seb, I shouldn't take it too seriously. He laughed too but it didn't reach his eyes. One part of me knew he wasn't joking but I forced myself to believe it was just my imagination.