12 | Operation Christmas Cookie Bake-Off

Valkiery, you are the sweetest. Your comments really make me smile, always. Thank you so much for your support. 

— Chapter 12 

Operation Christmas Cookie Bake-Off

Pure white snow covered the school grounds and still continued to fall from the sky.  It was a wonder that we hadn't gotten a day off yet.  Then again, with Ouran being a wealthy school and all, the staff managed to plow all of the pathways and constantly keep them clear.  They also managed to make sure that warmth had reached every inch of the inside of the school.

Music room three was no exception.

Kaoru wore a curious expression on his face. "A Christmas cookie bake-off?" he asked.

"Precisely!" Tamaki beamed.

"I'm sorry, but could you explain how this is supposed to work out again?"

Tamaki ran out of the club room at lightning speed, leaving behind a huge cloud of smoke.

"T-Tamaki-senpai?" I managed to cough out.

And as soon as he had left, he ran back through the double doors, this time carrying a huge white board and a marker.

操作クリスマスクッキー焼くオフ...現在準備中! It read across the top.  This was Japanese for "Operation Christmas cookie bake-off... under construction!"

"Tamaki," Kyouya began, pushing his glasses up.

"Yes, Mommy? Are you impressed with my intricate strokes of Hiragana, Kanji, and—"

"Did you use Google Translate?"

Tamaki laughed nervously. "You are one funny man, Kyouya. Anyways!" he exclaimed, obviously embarrassed by the inaccuracy.  He smacked a yard stick to the portion of the large white board with a badly drawn cookie on it.  "Christmas Eve is tomorrow! The members of the host club will pair off and compete against each other to see who is able to bake the best cookies," he beamed.

"All right, who's going be the judge of the cookie quality?" Kaoru asked.

Tamaki rushed over to Hani and placed his hands on his shoulders. "We can make the honor Hani-senpai's."

"With all due respect, what exactly is the purpose of your idea?" Kyouya wondered, probably calculating all possible reasons for planning such a thing.

"Yeah, can't we just have our personal chefs do the job?" Hikaru wondered in a carefree tone, not taking his eyes off of his video game. "And what do we get out of it?"

I looked up from my sketch pad and raised an eyebrow at them. "Some of us don't have private chefs, if you haven't noticed."

"Okay, so what do we get out if it?" Hikaru asked, still not persuaded in the slightest.

"Good question," the self-claimed host club king replied, holding up the prize. "The winners get a stuffed Totoro."

While Hani's eyes began to glisten at the sight of such an adorable object, Hikaru still wasn't convinced. "But it's not like two people can split it in half since we're going off into pairs."

"Hmph," Tamaki pouted. "Fine, everyone gets a stuffed Totoro! Happy now? Just look at how adorable it is! Do all of you still not want to participate? How heartless!" he half-sobbed, giving us his famous puppy eyes and allowing the tears to overtake them.