08 | Only a Fever

KATHY I LOVE YOU. Even though you don't use this site anymore. You are probably one of the first of my real-life friends to read my fan fiction. tysm for bein the bomb.com 

— Chapter 08 

Only a Fever

I stared at my reflection in the warm cup of green tea Haruhi had made. Coming over to her house had always been relaxing for me despite Ranka's persistent attempts to get in touch with our supposed feminine sides. Things were even more tranquil at that point in time, however, since he decided to go out for the day to leave me and Haruhi be.

Haruhi walked in from the kitchen and took a seat across from me, pulling a few photos out from an envelope. "Hey, look what came in the mail," she began, spreading a few of them out onto the table between us. "Looks like the others decided to send photos from the beach trip we took last weekend."

I began to flip through half of the pile until I couldn't help but snort. "Tamaki-senpai looks like he's about to pass out in this one," I said.

"This one's cute," Haruhi smiled in return, holding up a picture that Hani and I had taken together for me to see.

With smiles similar to those of the happiest kids in the world, we held up shellfish in front of the camera, and the twins could be seen further away in the background as they continued their beach ball chase. With a giggle, I flipped to the next one and stared at it with a ponderous mindset.  Kyouya stood behind me, looking at me with an amused expression in this one as I seemed to be laughing my head off in the foreground.

Shrugging, I slowly began to flip to the next picture in my pile, but not before Haruhi stopped me with a little smile on her face. "Hey, go back to that other one," she half-laughed.

"Psh, what are you talking about? You act like he'd be interested in someone who's not the heiress to a world-renowned business."

"I dunno about that, Hiroshi," she replied.

"So you're the exception, huh?" I laughed half-heartedly despite the bit of tension beginning to cave into my chest. Why the heck was wrong with me?

Haruhi only blinked in reply. "Wait, are you talking about... oh, that," she muttered, raising an eyebrow at me. "Please, you already saw the way Tamaki-senpai reacts when Kyouya-senpai and I are even near each other. There's no way something like that would happen, anyways. I'd rather focus on my studies."

I gulped and rested both of my elbows on the table, burying my face in my hands.  "Sorry, Haruhi."

She let out a carefree laugh. "Tamaki-senpai's already in my personal bubble enough," she muttered as her eyes became half-lidded in slight annoyance. "Whenever he gets uncomfortably close to my face, I just wanna..." she sighed before her voice trailed off.  

Her face began to turn red.  "I just wanna smack him," she huffed in conclusion.

After a few seconds, the mood was light again and it was hard not to giggle. I'd never seen Haruhi so worked up about a guy, but I didn't blatantly mention anything. Her feelings for Tamaki were something I wanted her to find out on her own.

"Well, sorry for making you worry. I didn't know you looked at Kyouya-senpai in that way," she said in an unsuspecting tone of voice.

My head snapped up. "Huh? I don't."