35 | Inseparable

I love you. Thank you for reading. 

— Final Chapter — 

Inseparable

Bolts of thunder erupted across the sky in a way that shook the earth, and the rain continued to pour noisily as Haruhi and I shook beside each other in the darkness. I wrapped the blanket around the both of us more tightly, finally allowing tears to well up in my eyes. It was fortunate that our parents allowed me to stay with her for the night, because I didn't think that either of us could survive such a predicament alone.

I didn't know for certain about whether or not Tamaki was only following orders. But if he truly didn't want to leave us, and if he truly believed we were a family, why would he choose to separate the host club this way? Why would he make the dissolution so abrupt and agonizing before taking his leave from us?

Another bolt of thunder roared deafeningly, and Haruhi quickly buried her head into my shoulder as she began to hiccup quietly. It was the first time I'd seen her cry in years. This was one thing that broke my heart most about Tamaki's engagement to Lady Éclair: the fact that it hurt Haruhi so deeply for a reason she herself couldn't explain. 

It seemed that she was stuck in the same situation I'd been in while struggling to admit my own feelings for Kyouya, but trying to get her to acknowledge her own for Tamaki would just make things worse.

So I left it alone. We couldn't do anything; it was too late.

Haruhi continued to whimper quietly, and when the rain began to fall even more loudly, I'd realized that both Kyouya and Tamaki would be gone in a matter of days. Immediately after I'd taken notice of such a concept, I felt my chest begin to cave in and my breathing became more shallow.

I kept telling myself not to cry too much because Haruhi didn't need to see me in such a condition as well, but it couldn't be helped. With one last roar of thunder that seemed to split the sky in two, my vision began to blur greatly and I allowed my head to rest against hers. Tears began to stream down my face at an uncontrollable rate.

The torrential downpour didn't let up in the slightest.

For the rest of the night, in the safety of the blanket we were wrapped up in, we wept.

* * *

The hosts and I were dressed in the same attire as we were at the end of yesterday's events, and the club was open for business to the general public for the second and final day of the school fair. Although I was sure that the others were as exhausted as me and Haruhi, we tried to stick to the host club's ideology that the guests' happiness was of utmost importance.

This was our last opportunity to do so; the next day, we'd wander the halls with the mentality that the host club was a mere thing of the past. I tried not to think about it too much.

I continued to push the food cart around in the cream-colored heels that Mrs. Hitachiin provided with the dress, trying my best to ignore the discomfort and pain in my toes. Fortunately, my walking wasn't as awkward as it was the day before.

Stopping just for just a second to take a short break behind the statue in the middle of the room, I took my shoes off discreetly and puffed my cheeks up. Little did I know that Lady Éclair was sitting in her usual spot on the other side.