Amnesia

Samantha's POV:

"Do you remember your friends?" The doctor gestured towards us.

He scanned each and every one of our faces.

What if he doesn't remember me? I shuddered at that thought. I dashed out of the room. If something happens like that — no, nononono. He can't forget me, right? I am Samantha, his best friend!

I didn't notice Payal followed me out until she placed her cold hands over my shoulder.

"Sam, are you ok?"

"Payal, what if he doesn't remember me?"

"Sam, think positive. He'll get back his senses," she assured me. "Don't overthink this —" her phone rang.

"Its Stan, I haven't told him where I am yet. I'll better take this call" saying she moved away from me, answering her call.

"Sam!" Alice called.

"He's fine! He remembers us all and he's back to normal, mentally!!" She beamed.

"Wow, Alice! That's great" I hugged her. I felt like I got my life back.

"I'll go and see him" I told her and walked in.

Thank God! I sighed in relief.

The nurse was checking his vitals when I walked in and once she left, I slowly walked over to his bed. When I was close enough to him, I threw my arms around him. I had missed the warmth from his hugs so much, though we haven't hugged each other a lot.

"I missed you so much. You don't know how hard it was for me when I heard that you met with an accident."

I closed my eyes and inhaled his comforting scent. I took in the warmth of his body against mine, but something wasn't right. He hadn't wrapped his arms around me like he usually did.

Did he hate me? Did I do something wrong?

He pried himself from my grip. I stared at him confused by his actions. Staring back at me, I could see confusion written all over his face.

"Do I know you?" He asked while removing his grip off my arms.

My heart started slowly sinking.

"I'm your best friend," I replied

He thought about it for a second before shaking his head, "I don't remember you being my best friend."

I stared at him hoping he wasn't being serious. I hoped that it was just another one of his "sick" jokes or pranks. I hoped that he would just put me out of my heartbreak and tell me that he was just kidding. But, by the look on his face I could tell that he wasn't going to do that because he truly believed that he didn't know.

I could feel tears prick my eyes. I tried pushing them back, but as hard as I tried it didn't matter. They started streaming down my cheeks. I couldn't hide the pain I had felt when he told me that he didn't know me.

This wasn't him. This couldn't be him. I knew it wasn't. I couldn't believe that this was the guy who would always stay with me at night when I was feeling low. The guy who... stole my heart.

"Are you sure you don't know me?" I asked hopefully.

He ran his right hand through his hair, something he only did when he was nervous or frustrated, "I'm sure. I don't know you."

My heart shattered into small little pieces. "I guess I'll just go then."

I reluctantly turned to leave the room but his voice stopped me. I turned around in hopes that he had remembered me, but deep down I knew it wasn't for that reason.