Broken

*** Unedited chapter ***

Samantha's POV:

The sound of heartbreak is deafeningly silent. You may not hear an audible crash, but those who have loved and/or decieved know that the pain can shatter the heart. And, in that moment the walls we build around us to keep sadness out also keeps out the joy.

I don't think I'll ever fall in love with someone again, or even trust anyone for that matter.

I fear meeting Zhang. How will I ever look him in the eyes? All this time, he was trying to help me, but all I did was to insult him. He has always been a good friend to me no matter what I do to him. He's been a punchbag to me. He's been a rock to me always.

Why can't I fall in love with someone like Zhang? Why the hell on earth I fell for someone like Ben — who chose to break my heart?

"Sam?" My room door creaked open and someone entered cautiously.

"Who's that?" I wiped my tears on my shirt sleeve.

"Zhang" answering, he switched on the lights. I squinted my eyes by the sudden shimmerimg light.

"Why are you sitting in the dark?" He came close to me and sat on the cold floor beside me.

"Go away, Zhang" I mumbled weakly.

"Why are you here?" I asked, still not looking his face.

"Because my friend needs me" he hugged me closely.

"Friend?" I snorted again.

"Yup!" He popped the 'p'

"I don't deserve you to be here — when I need —" words failed me and I broke into tears.

"Hey, Sam... Sshh" He hugged me even closer and caressed my hair. I weeped and weeped and weeped and I felt like I was running out of tears. My eyes were like broken dam, flooding all over Zhang's crisp — now soaked — white linen shirt.

"You're just wasting your tears for someone who don't worth it" he whispered.

I snapped my head back and looked at his distraught face for the first time ever since he walked into my room.

"It makes me feel like he has won" he uttered with an utmost disgust.

"No. Nonono. That can't happen" I wiped my face and stood up. Zhang was startled with my sudden reaction.

"Come, let's go" I held out my hand.

"Where?"

"For a walk? For dinner? For movie? To the park?"

Hips lips curled up and I know, I will never ever let that bastard win over me. Who's he to break my heart? It is MY heart. And to hell with Benedict Cumberbatch.

*****

The following day, I dressed up enthusiastically and got ready for my college. So much happened on this weekend and I don't even want to think about it. From this monday, I'm starting all over again. No more cries, no more dwelling and seeking comfort from my own sorrow.

But it's hard to tell your mind to stop loving someone, when you're heart still does.

The classes were the usual ones. When it was lunch break, I decided to head home because I didn't have any afternoon hours. But, my stomach told me otherwise, so I headed up to the cafteria and bought an iced tea and sat on a cosy corner place.

"And, finally! Here you are!" Varun dropped his books on the cafeteria table. I looked up from my iced tea and gave him a flat look.

"You are so busy, all the time" he emphasized the last three words and took a seat beside him.