Preparing For Battle

It had been a month or so since Alex had told Sherlock everything about her past. Sherlock had kept his promise. He hadn't gotten mad, just listened and calmed his wife down. Alex had felt so much better. She had nothing more to hide from Sherlock now. They had spoken to Mycroft about Vanessa. He had agreed to keep her so she would be totally safe. She would be able to see her parents every now and then, but not a lot. She would probably barley remember her parents and when she did see them, she'd hate them. Alex knew Sherlock wouldn't mind, but she knew she would. They were taking her to Mycroft today. This was causing Alex so much pain, more pain than she'd ever thought imaginable. But it was for the best and she knew that. After breakfast, Alex looked at Sherlock. He put a hand on her shoulder to steady her. She had been swaying a bit.

"Alex?" Sherlock said.

"It's time." Alex said.

"Oh...okay." Sherlock said. "Vanessa, come on." 

"Where are we going?" Vanessa asked.

"To see your Uncle Mycroft." Alex said.

"Are you two going out on a case?" Vanessa asked. "Can I come?"

"When you're older." Alex chuckled, smiling down at her daughter affectionately. 

"You always say that!" Vanessa groaned as they got into a car Mycroft had sent. "What's the case for? Murder?"

"No. We're trying to catch a terrorist." Alex said.

"What's their name?" Vanessa asked.

"I'd rather not say." Sherlock said.

When they got to Mycroft's building., Alex felt as if she was going to burst into tears at any second. They walked Vanessa into Mycroft's office. Mycroft smiled at her and then looked to Alex and Sherlock and sighed sadly.

"You've got to explain to her soon. She won't understand." Alex whispered. "Her things are in the car."

"Are you sure you want to do that?" Mycroft asked. She's young enough that she might not remember you if I don't tell her." 

"No, I want her to remember us." Alex said. "Tell her later today. Let her have a few more hours. God, she's going to hate me..."

"No, she won't." Sherlock said, rubbing Alex's back. A single tear rolled down Alex's face. She loved her daughter and this was for her daughter's safety. Vanessa tugged on Alex's coat.

"Mummy, why are you crying?" She asked.

I can't say goodbye...it hurts too much. Alex thought. 

"Sherlock, we should get going." Alex said, turning around and walking out. Vanessa tilted her head, confused.

"Mum? Where are you going?" She asked. "When are you coming back?"

Alex turned and faced her daughter and replied fiercly, "As soon as I can, darling." 

She and Sherlock walked out of Mycroft's office together. Alex rested her head on Sherlock's shoulder, determined not to lose it until she got home. As soon as the car Mycroft had sent stopped, Alex ran into the house. She collapsed on the couch and started sobbing. Sherlock laid down next to her and wrapped his arms around her. He was crying too. 

"It's all right." He said, trying to soothe her the best he could. It was hard for him because he was in his own amount of pain. 

"Don't try to make me feel better." Alex choked out. "You're sad too."

"I am." Sherlock nodded. "I'm sorry...I don't know what's come over me."

"You're hurt, Sherlock. I am too. It's okay." Alex said.