The East Wind

Sherlock had killed a person, so that automatically meant prison for him. Mycroft didn't want that to happen, so he had come up with an alternative: To send Sherlock on a mission back in the Eastern Europe which would prove fatal within six months. He had placed Sherlock under house arrest at Baker Street. Alex was staying with him. She cried a lot. Sherlock hadn't told her about why he was going to the Middle East. The night before he had to go, he was making some last minute preperations. He was packing everything he thought he would need. Alex came into his bedroom, watching him. He had his back turned to her. 

"I know you're there." He sighed. "Come here."

"Sherlock, I've been thinking." Alex said.

"Oh?" Sherlock said. "Tell me what's on your mind."

"We could run away together. Go to America, change our names, start a new life." Alex said. "I know what you leaving means, Sherlock. I've already watched you walk to your death once. I'm not going to do it again."

"Alex, I can't do that." Sherlock said. 

"Sure you could. We were both on the run before and we're both smart. We could make it together." Alex said. "I don't want to live without you again."

"Well, you're grateful for what I did, aren't you?" Sherlock said sarcastically. Alex blinked. That had stung.

"You know, I never asked you to kill Magnussen for me. I never even asked you to get the documents on me. Come to think of it, I don't think I ever asked for help in the first place." Alex said. "I could have taken care of it all on my own."

"Oh, I'm sure you could have." Sherlock scoffed. "Just tell me, what did you plan to do after killing Magnussen?"

"I don't know!" Alex said. She turned away, fighting tears again. "I'm scared, okay? I don't want to lose you!"

"You're not going to lose me." Sherlock said, hugging her tightly. "Shh. It's all okay. Alex, shh."

Alex gradually calmed down. When she did, Sherlock was sitting on the edge of his bed with her in his arms. He kissed her on the head and then carried her into the living room. He got her a can of caffine-free Dr. Pepper and gave it to her. It was one of the only things beside him that calmed her down. Sherlock sat next to her after getting his violin and patted his lap.

"Lay down. You've let me lay my head in your lap so many times." Sherlock said. "It's your turn now."

Alex laid down and put her head in his lap. Sherlock started playing the song he had composed for her on his violin. He was trying to lull Alex to sleep. She looked up at him, her eyes red from crying. She fell asleep while he played. Sherlock carried her to bed, and finished packing. He curled up next to Alex and fell asleep. He woke up early in the morning. He got dressed quietly. This was the end of his house arrest, but he had to go now. He looked at Alex and pain coursed through him at the thought of having to say goodbye again. He shook his head. He wasn't going to do that to either of them and cause them that kind of pain again. He kissed Alex on the forehead.

"Goodbye, my dear." He said. "I will always love you."

Sherlock left the flat and went to the small runway they were using. Mycroft was there. Sherlock waited for John and Mary to arrive. When they arrived, Mary was the first to walk up to Sherlock.

"You will look after them both for me, won't you?" Sherlock asked. Mary kissed him on the cheek and hugged him. 

"Don't worry, I'll keep him in trouble." He said.

"Good girl." He said. He turned to Mycroft. "Since this is likely to be the last conversation I'll have with John Watson, would you mind if we took a moment?"