We Almost Died

A month or so after Alex had gotten sick, she and Sherlock were out on a case together. It was Molly's turn to babysit, so she was staying with Vanessa while Sherlock and Alex went out. They both loved Vanessa to death, but they needed a break. Sherlock had rented a car because he knew Moriarty's people would expect him to come in a cab. Sherlock knew how to drive, but Alex didn't, so he was driving. He planned to teach her how to drive when he had time. Alex was complaining about her brother.

"Honestly, he's such a drama queen! I mean, I watch your kid for you when you and Mary go out, why can't you watch mine when we go on a case?" Alex said.

"Uh-huh." Sherlock said. "I know, I know." 

"Seriously, I just want to go out with my husband and you can't watch my kid?" Alex said. "You're the godparent! It's your job!"

"Yeah." Sherlock said.

Stop. Whining. He thought. How do I put up with you sometimes?

Suddenly, as Sherlock looked up, he saw a truck coming right towards them. They were in the right lane, the idiot in the truck wasn't. Alex screamed as Sherlock swerved to avoid hitting it. When the car stopped spinning, it was miracously still upright. Alex had her hand over her heart and she was shaking.

"We just almost died." She whispered, hugging Sherlock.

"Okay, calm down." Sherlock said, pushing Alex off him. 

"You're not the least bit concerned?" Alex said.

"No. I avoided the truck and there's not even a scratch on us." Sherlock said. "We're fine."

"Wow." Alex said. "There are times I envy you, Sherlock."

"Stop shaking." Sherlock said. "You are fine. We are both fine."

By the time they arrived to the crime scene, Alex was still shaken up. She walked over to Lestrade with Sherlock. Lestrade took notice of her state and instantly walked over to them.

"Are you two all right?" He asked.

"We got in an accident." Alex said.

"Oh my God." Lestrade said, cupping his hands over his mouth. Sherlock rolled his eyes.

"We almost got in an accident." He said. "We're both fine."

"That seems like a pretty important destinction." Lestrade said. "What happened?"

"A truck almost hit us. I swerved and avoided it." Sherlock said.

"Good job." Lestrade said. "Are you sure you want to do this, or do you want to go home?"

"I'm fine." Sherlock said.

"I'll stay, but I'm gonna sit this one out." Alex said.

Sherlock sighed and started looking the corpse over as Alex stood by Lestrade. He could barely deduce anything. It was like his mind wouldn't function properly. He looked up at Alex for a second and realised how much he loved her and didn't want to lose her. He regarded it as nothing more than sentiment and pushed it to the back of his mind palace. It kept nagging at him though. No matter how much he tried to push it away, it wouldn't leave him alone.

"Sherlock?" Lestrade said.

"Hm?" Sherlock said.

"Got anything?" Lestrade asked, knowing it was pointless to ask since the answer would be 'yes'.

"Um...not really, no." Sherlock shook his head.

"What?!" Lestrade said.

"Give me a few more minutes." Sherlock said.