Chapter Sixteen-Part One

I know this chapter took a while to get published. It was all freehanded so I needed more time to write it. Enjoy!

     Two weeks. Two weeks had passed since Frank had abandoned her without a single word. In that time, she had told Alyssa a portion of what occurred between the two. She left out his confession and everything related to that, so there wasn't much to tell. But she had to tell Alyssa. The girl noticed how Karmen zoned out more frequently, dwelled in her apartment more often, and always had a frown on her face.

      She was an idiot.

      How could she have let herself fall for him? She knew there was a chance he'd run. But she let it happen anyway. The worst part was she still cared about him, even after he left.

      So now here she was, on her way to Alyssa and Connor's apartment, ready to try and forget her sorrows for just one night. She soon reached the building, but before she got out, she pulled out her phone. Already, she had left Frank a total of four voicemails. What's one more? She thought before calling his contact. Once the voicemail message ended, she drew in a breath.

      "Frank, it's me again. I don't know if you're getting these, but I really hope so. Please come back. Annalise might not be happy, but she'll forgive you eventually. And it's not just about Annalise. It's about me. I don't mean to sound self-centered, but...I need you. So at the very least, could you call me?"

      With a sigh, she hung up and dropped her head on the steering wheel. She hated pleading for him to return. She just wished he were here.

      Better get going. She hopped out of her car and walked towards the building. As she entered, she kept telling herself one simple phrase: No more about Frank. It was a simple thought, yet she knew it would be more difficult to act out. That was understandable; Frank was a plague that infected her mind and didn't intend to leave anytime soon. Before she knew it, she stood at the door to her friends' apartment. She raised her hand and rapped it on the door. Not a moment later, she was met with a smiling Alyssa, who pulled her into the room. Instantly, a multitude of scents struck her nostrils, and she hummed.

     "It smells amazing in here."

      "It'll taste even better." She heard Connor's voice, and looked towards the kitchen, finding him leaning against the counter. He plucked up a bottle and handed it to her. She grabbed it, realizing it was her favorite wine.

      "Thanks."

      "Hey, I may not know what's going on with you, but I know that alcohol makes everything better."

      She barked a laugh. "Amen to that."

      The three sat down for dinner shortly after, sharing stories of their childhoods and joking around.

      "The moral of the story is that I actually passed physics." Connor finished up a story of his, and she shook her head.

      "You're insane."

      "I know, trust me. But God, it was worth it."

      Alyssa rolled her eyes playfully and shoved Connor. "Moving on. This may seem like a random question, but do we have any ice cream?"

      Connor narrowed his eyes in confusion. "No?"

      "Damn. I don't know why, but that sounds good."

      Karmen hummed. "You're right. It does."

      Connor sprung up and spread his arms. "Your wish is my command. What kind do you want?"