Chapter Ten-Part One

"STOP!"

      She wasn't sure if it was her begging, or some sort of consciousness that at last slipped into his mind, but something made Wes finally lower the pistol. Karmen wasted no time rushing forward and snatching it out of his grasp.

      "What the hell is wrong with you?" She whispered, and Wes stared down at her with wide eyes, as if realizing what he'd done.

      "Oh my God." Karmen jumped and whirled around at the sound of another voice in the room. Michaela stood unmoving, a hand clamped over her mouth. She lowered it, only to snap,

      "You shot her?" She questioned Karmen, who hesitated and looked down at the gun. She thought for a moment. Wes was already blamed for Sam, and he didn't need the group against him. But she really couldn't reflect on her choice before she blurted out,

      "I had to."

      "That's not her leg." She spat back.

      "I've never shot a gun before." The blonde declared before gazing at Annalise, who still hyperventilated as she bled out.

      She looked back towards the doorway where Laurel had paused, eyes wide. The girl noticed the gun in her hand. "Did you shoot her?"

      She sighed. "We just went over this. I had to."

      Karmen then said, "We need to leave."

      Michaela tossed her head from side to side. "No, no, no. We have to help her." 

      "The cops are on their way. Wes?" She called to the boy who had been still. "Wes!" She barked, and he turned towards her.

      "Give me the gun!" He demanded, outstretching his arm. Fear rippled through her as she considered that he may want to finish the job.

      "No!"

      "I'll put it in the pool, like Laurel said."

      The image of Wes looming over Annalise with the gun aimed at her head burned into her mind, so she repeated, "No."

      "I'll meet you by the gate." Before she could refuse, Michaela had ripped the pistol out of her hand and offered it to Wes.

      "Look for Connor and Alyssa!" Michaela shouted after Wes as he retreated to the doorway. Karmen gaped at the spot he disappeared at.

      "We have to go." Laurel told her.

      Karmen took one last look at Annalise, tears rolling down her cheeks. "I'm so sorry." She muttered.

      And with that, she left.

~~~~~

      It had been over a week since Annalise had been shot, and a day since she'd last seen Wes. She was collaborating with Laurel to look after the boy, but told the girl nothing about what truly went down at the Hapstall home. In truth, the guilt was eating her up inside. But on the outside, Karmen smiled as Laurel appeared in Frank's apartment with Wes at her side. Everyone chorused their cheerful hellos, as if they hadn't been involved in yet another murder.

      "What's all this?" He asked after Michaela hugged him.

      "Uh, study group. Exams are in a month, in case you forgot." The ravenette responded.

       "You mean in case he's been distracted by all the murders." Connor retorted, and despite his words, she was happy. His snarkiness brought a sense of normalcy to her.