Chapter Six-Part One

What would happen if Annalise died? Karmen couldn't help but wonder about that. Her course would change drastically, her work life would be over with, her guilt would be overwhelming. Annalise couldn't die. Karmen may have hated the woman, but she couldn't die.

      She didn't know if she could live with herself if that happened.

~~~~~

      Two Weeks Earlier

      Karmen walked into class with Alyssa, Connor, and Michaela. There was an ongoing bet that Wes and Laurel were already freaking out over the suitcase. The blonde shook her head as she noticed that the two were speaking to each other. When the four got close enough, Karmen heard Wes ask,

      "Then what's with the suitcase?"

      "Huh, we were right, Connor. They're obsessing about the suitcase." Michaela started, and Karmen groaned while pulling out her wallet. She handed Connor a ten, who smirked.

      "Pleasure doing business with you." 

      "Fine, I'll stop, if one of you can explain why Frank would have that much cash." Wes snapped, and her jaw clenched.

      "Maybe he has a gambling problem, or distrusts banks." Connor suggested, and Karmen silently scoffed.

      "Or is saving it to hire a hitman to kill Wes for letting me sleep with a drug dealer." Michaela hissed, heavily glaring at Wes.

      "Okay, can we all stop this, please?" Laurel interjected. "Forget about the suitcase and Rebecca and Levi before Annalise finds out we've all gone bananas again." The group went silent at the suggestion, and Karmen assumed everyone was in agreement. Except for one man.

      "Wes?" Laurel asked.

      "None of this makes sense." He stated, looking at all of the students.

      "Did your mother drop you on the head as a baby? Because we get it. You're sad your little girlfriend flaked out on you." Michaela snipped, and Karmen mentally applauded her words.

      "You mean killed." Wes tried to correct, only for Michaela to shake her head.

      "No. That's the tell tale your little weenie brain made up. So do whatever you need to do to silence the lambs or I will serial kill you." She threatened, and before Wes could respond, a new voice boomed,

      "Why aren't we in our seats?" She whipped her head towards Annalise, who had entered the room. Karmen glanced at Wes once more before walking with Alyssa towards both of their seats. Not a minute later, Professor Keating began her lecture.

      "The United States v. Mahoney. Mr. Millstone. Tell me the verdict." She requested, and the boy stood with a blank expression. 

      "There was no verdict in the U.S. v. Mahoney. Due to the victim's concerns about suffering additional emotional harm, he didn't testify and the judge had no choice but to dismiss the case." He explained dully, and Karmen wondered why he seemed so impassive. Perhaps it had to do with why he was gone.

      "What legal option did the prosecutor exercise in allowing the victim's request not to testify?" Keating questioned.

      "Discretion." Annalise nodded in confirmation.

~~~~~

      Later on that day at Annalise's house, Asher was back to work.

      "Sorry I had to go all Jason Bourne on you guys, but uh, your heads would literally kerplode if you knew about all the crap going on in this house." Karmen kept her face masked in stone, but she mentally laughed. You don't know the half of it.