Chapter Twelve-Part Two

The next day after Laurel, Karmen, and Wes landed in Ohio, they walked into the civic center with the intent on finding information regarding Wes's mother. They found a woman to assist them once they seated around a computer.

      "Enter the word or phrase separated by plus signs and it'll find all instances of that word from the judicial database." The lady explained.

      Laurel, who sat directly in front of the computer, began to type. "So if we were looking for Rose Gibbins—"

      Wes leaned over. "Actually, it's Rose Edmond." He corrected in the search bar. He then pressed enter, only for the message 'no results found' to pop up. Gibbins faced the worker.

      "What if we wanted to pull up all the court transcripts from a specific case—U.S. v. Charles Mahoney?"

      "When was the trial?"

      Wes told her, "2005."

      "All court transcripts before '09 are hard copy only. I can have them delivered from storage if you'd like." 

      "We have time." Laurel affirmed, and the employee hummed before walking away. Karmen sighed and glanced at her phone. She had many calls and texts from Frank, and two notifications from Alyssa. She felt guilty about ignoring her best friend, but she truly wanted no word to get to Frank, so she chose not even read the text. While she sat there in silence, Laurel and Wes conversed about the latter's last name, and where it originated. As she glared at her phone, a new text popped up.

      Where are you?

      "Is that Frank?"

      She picked up her head to look at Laurel, who had asked that. She sarcastically smiled. "He's the only one bothering the hell out of me." She then stood. "I'm gonna get some snacks or something." She left the two alone, her thoughts centered around a single phrase.

      I killed Lila.

      Growing up she thought that the only sentence with three words that would impact her greatly would be 'I love you'.

      How wrong she was about that.

~~~~~

      If she had to describe the energy in Annalise's house in a single word it would be terrified. They were arguing over what to do about Philip, all the while worrying about what would happen if the videos got to the police. Michaela entered the living room with a scoff.

      "Wes, Laurel, and Karmen are all going to voicemail." Alyssa bit her lip. She really hoped Philip hadn't gotten to Karmen or the others. Connor shushed Michaela, as the couple was currently eavesdropping on Asher and Bonnie's conversation.

      "If I can prove there's no premeditation, I can plead voluntary manslaughter. That's what, ten years? Fifteen max? I'd be massive by the time I got out. All swole and—"

      Bonnie interrupted the boy's rant. "What are you doing right now?"

      "I'm just trying to get ahead of this thing before the video comes out." Asher told her as if it were obvious.

      "It's not going to." The blonde argued.

      "Okay, but if it does, it's only fair that I take the fall and explain everything, or at least some—"

      "Do you trust me?" Bonnie asked, ultimately cutting him off once more. Alyssa and Connor exchanged a curious look.

      "Yeah."