⤿ twenty

Something smelled funny, was what Artemisia acknowledged when she awoke from a heavy slumber

Something smelled funny, was what Artemisia acknowledged when she awoke from a heavy slumber. One by one, her senses started to return, and she began to learn of her surroundings. She fluttered her lids open, squinting through the sunlight, and taking her first look at such a beautiful day. The window framed the tall buildings as though they were a painting, and the orange sun washed over the glass like oil. It truly was like a work of art.

However, when her touch awoke seconds later, Artemisia could no longer care about the view. Every muscle in her body tensed under the arm that was wrapped around her waist, pinning her down on the stiff mattress. Her eyes grew wide, remembering the choice she had made last night.

And when she thought things could not get worse, the arm slipped off her, pulling her slightly on her back. "Good morning," Dick received her, an evident smile noticeable in his voice. She blushed softly, peaking slightly over her shoulder to give herself an idea of what she'd face when fully turning around. His bare chest glistened under the natural lighting, a small amount of hair in the middle contrasting the glow.

She wished to admire his face, right when he woke up, no splashing of water to tighten his skin, or quickly combing his hair with the fingers. Artemisia wanted to see him completely natural, just as he would with her. Making up her mind, she rolled her body around, putting on a vague grin, "good morning."

"How did you sleep?" He questioned, genuinely curious. She was taken back by his interest, and only offered a shrug, suggesting it was okay. Though her cheek hurt badly if she widened her smile, and so did her arm if she were to turn even further. It was the dark pools of blood that restricted her movement, yet she did not anything to get in the way of cherishing waking up next to Dick Grayson.

In unison, both took a deep inhale, eyes twinkling with glee. A warm and delicious fragrance entered their nostrils, making their stomachs growl in hunger. Artemisia pushed past the paining bruises and grinned from ear to ear, enjoying such a homey feeling. Everything seemed perfect.

Dick's stomach snarled even louder, making both chuckle softly. "I don't know 'bout you, but I'm starving," feeling a rush of boldness, she reached to touch his arm, giving his skin gentle strokes, as though her fingers were a brush, and he was a canvas. He sighed under her gentle touch, "I think everyone's already up. We should join them."

She retracted her hand, thinking his words had been a sign that he did not want it. However, noticing her reaction, he took his hand and squeezed her bicep before rolling on his back and sitting up. She eyed his spine, and the way each bump marked on his body, the curiosity of tracing them down came to her head.

However, she pushed it away, deciding to follow his lead and get up. Artemisia rolled over, hissing at the sharp pain that shot through her limbs, for some instants, she would forget the eventful evening all of them had had. As she got to her feet, a terrible cramp, stronger than sore muscles and healing bruises, sent her back to the bed. She plopped down, clutching her hurting abdomen. She could only describe it as her insides trying to crawl out.