⤿ thirty-six

Come on, Dianna!

Come on, Dianna!

Dianna opened her eyes with a sharp breath. A chilling void welcomed her. She glanced about, fearful of the gloom that had consumed everything. Her eyes perceived as far as her hands, the rest was an idea of existence. It was fucking scary.

This was Conner's mind? She couldn't recognize his state of subconsciousness. Temi's spirit had been so inviting, even when the Asian woman wanted nothing to do with her. She existed among shared memories when not required; they were usually bright, pleasant, visualizable. They weren't echoes.

"Conner?" Her voice resonated beyond the void. It spoke back to her from all directions. Some voices susurrated, others screamed. Some weren't her own. She recognized Donna's and Rachel's struggling roars.

Dianna took a bold step ahead. Freezing water enveloped her feet, moving with her. Squinting her eyes, she noticed a humped figure in the ground. Wandering closer, she recognized Conner. His arms were thrown around his head protectively. He choked a sob when his name left her lips.

"What's wrong?"

Conner shook his head, running his fingers through his hair. "Her voice," he responded, speech broken. "She tells me what to do. I can't make it stop."

Water flowed along with her as she sauntered towards him, its noise filling the hollow sensation that consumed them. She stopped before him and squatted, reaching to stroke his tense arm. "What is she telling you to do?"

He lifted his head, seeking for that song that intruded his brain. He listened and recoiled, shielding himself again. Dianna glimpsed around, wishing to hear it, too. Nothing. "Kill them," he repeated Mercy's words. "Kill them all."

Fucking bitch. Of course Conner was terrorized by hearing her orders. And his fear led to forced obedience. She groaned, dropping her hand from his arm to his knee. "Tell me how I can help you."

"I don't want your help," he snapped, though his trembling hands told her otherwise. He didn't want her involved, risking her sanity just to save him. He was an idiot if he thought she would walk away from her goal. She stretched her fingers to his chin, tilting his head up. His hand jerked hers away. "Leave me alone!"

Dianna scoffed at his demand. She dramatically gestured to their surroundings. "In this hellhole? You're out of your mind. It's fucking creepy."

Conner stared at her with tears spilling from his eyes. "You have to get out before I break free and hurt you."

"You won't hurt me," she reassured. Conner shook her head, still not believing her. She grabbed him once again, forcing him to look into her eyes and understand she was telling the truth. 'There's a whole team ready to fight you between us. Trust me, it's you you need to worry about. So, I'm sticking around."

She sat down next to him, making her point. The water touched her, yet she was impermeable; she was just a guest. The cold liquid still prickled her skin. A shiver ran across her body. She felt a cold hand grasping hers, pulling. A flash of a face appeared before her, resembling to shriek. Yet, the words came as a whisper. "Find the light."