epilogue

Not much had changed in the last couple of days. Not for Dianna, at least.

Gotham was making a slow recovery. The water had been purified and residents were thinking critically once again. They had started to assist one another, making up for the selfishness during dark times. They seemed to move on pretty fast, used to this sort of hard blow that would devastate any other city. But not Gotham. It was a special city with strong people. It could survive through anything as long as someone remained hopeful.

The Titans had offered all of their hope for the city. While everything moved forward with the city, Titans were retroceding. The link that once held them close had shattered and none of them was willing to mend it, or even acknowledge it was damaged.

Dianna had watched from a distance as Dick pretended that all was normal, and how sometimes, the others would try to act along, see if it helped them heal. But later, she would notice them even sadder. Temi... she was the best of them all.

She's tried to escape the Manor, have a change of scenery, of gloomy faces. She knew no one else to trust than Barbara, but Dick had spoken to her first. She'd tried to make Dianna reason with Dick, reminding her that's how things worked out in their profession; that the possibility of having someone back is always a blessing, even among superheroes.

She had stormed out of the station, Barbara trying to catch up with her, still persuading her to begin a journey of mourning. Dianna quickly called a cab and rushed the driver. Barbara was left alone in the street, grimacing as the vehicle drove away from her. That time, she hadn't returned to the Manor until four in the morning, after volunteering at the hospital and later going out to one of the few bars that managed to open soon.

Kory was waiting for her at the Manor, a bottle of alcohol half-drunk. She was crying, her make-up ruined and her pyjamas stained with red wine. "You can't keep running away from things"; "you're destroying what we're trying so hard to rebuild"; "what you did to Barbara was disrespectful, you need to apologise"; "you and Dick need to talk. It's unbearable to be in the same room as you two. Do it before Bruce gets back, before we go back to San Fran."

"I'll talk to Dick when he fucking does something. Right now, I have nothing else to say to him. I'm not moving on. Not until I get justice."

And as she went to her room, Marge tried to invite her into her room to watch a movie. Like nothing had happened. She'd also tried to bring her breakfast to bed, but not in a caring way, but rather cheerful. Like nothing happened. She was seeing a pattern all around her. Was she the only one who cared? Did they know something she didn't? Was she truly being unhealthy by not moving on? It had only been a couple of days...

One person kept her believing she was sane. Tim Drake. He would invite her to his home, and sometimes he would stop by the Manor. He would bring her favourite food and listen to her speak about her emotions over and over. He didn't seem to get tired, always giving new advice he had gathered from those in his neighbourhood that had lost someone. He was also her only source to the other members of the team that dared to grieve. Gar wasn't in a good place, either. Conner was still confused by all the new things he was feeling. Rachel had comprehended death in a new way since her trip to Themyscira but had found her means of mourning. And Donna resorted to busying herself to keep feelings at bay. 

These five people were the sole reason Dianna stayed in the team.

They were the reason she decided to go back to San Francisco. She stayed by the benches in the airport as everyone else explored the exterior of Bruce's private jet as they waited for Dick and Donna.

A loud honk came from an RV as it drove closer. It parked before them, Dick and Donna presenting their means of travel back home. Dianna had been several times in an RV to know it wasn't the greatest for coexisting for a long period. Dick leaned against the vehicle, "I figured it would be way more fun than taking Bruce's jet."

"Why would that be more fun?"

Gar scoffed from behind Kory. He acted like his old, gleeful self, but Dianna noticed his lack of sleep, or lack of excitement when he believed no one was watching. Dianna was usually the same, but she found herself too exhausted to try. The green-haired teen clapped his hands together. "Name one thing better than a road trip!"

"Oh, I don't know, maybe flying in the Bat-jet?" Rachel nudged the boy. He thought for a second before concluding that, in fact, flying on Batman's jet was better. The pair began naming other things that could be better than the road trip they were about to take. Tim rushed next to them and suggested yet another Batman mobile. Dianna wished to chime in that flying in Wonder Woman's invisible jet would be ten times cooler, but she stayed behind as they packed into the RV.

The rest of them took it as a sign to begin saying their goodbyes. Conner went to Blackfire, and Dick and Kory with Donna. Dianna watched them, hugging her bags in comfort. Marge slowly made her way to the vehicle, giving silent waves at everyone who was staying back.

Blackfire pulled away from Conner's hug and sent Dianna a wave and a wink, she only replied with the first, forcing a smile into her face. As she was about to stand up and head for the RV, she also saw Donna saying her farewells. The woman mouthed "see you around", respecting her boundaries. Dianna responded with a slightly more genuine smile before rushing into the RV.

Dick stepped before the door, blocking her path. He saw as annoyance boiled in her core through her glare. He spoke to her after days, but it wasn't what any of them had wanted their first words to be. "You and me, we take the night shift tonight, okay? We clean up the mess, find a place to have breakfast the next morning, have something warm, and maybe talk. Sounds good?"

"I don't really have a choice," was her response before pushing past him. Dick smiled to himself. That could have gone worse. He knew it would be a challenge to live under such a small roof when things were so tense, but, to everyone else's surprise, the RV was his solution. Making peace with Dianna was his first and main step. He would rebuild the Titans, and make them stronger than they were.

Blackfire and Donna drove away, leaving Conner, Kory and Dick waving until they were out of sight. Conner sighed and marched toward the bus. Kory shook her head at his behaviour. "You know, they were sleeping together, Conner and Blackfire."

"Wait, I thought your sister was with Dianna..." Dick would never have imagined Conner and Blackfire together. He had not even noticed it.

"Are you serious? Holy shit. You think they know?." Kory chuckled, looking back at the RV. "Let's hope they don't fight over it. I won't stand them for long. How long's the trip, anyway?"

"It's a forty-four-hour drive."

"Forty-four hours?"

"Yeah, I know. We better get going." He guided Kory into the RV far enough for her to engage in a conversation with Rachel. He stepped back outside with the excuse of forgetting a bag. He'd left it on purpose, of course. Taking the duffle bag, he stole a glance at the interior of the building.

Two tall, shadowed figures stepped toward the small window and nodded. Dick responded with the same gesture, searching around them. His expression softened when a third figure paced beside the other two. This one was shorter and more feminine. To this one, he smiled and waved. It waved back before resting its head on another's shoulder and walking back into the shadows.

Dick spun and rubbed his hands. Next destination: San Francisco. Hopefully.

─────────── finished: 04/24/22

──────── edited: 11/2022