⤿ forty-three

Coward

Coward. Why didn't you shoot him down? You were armed to your teeth! We don't want you on the team anymore.

Artemisia prepared herself to be bombarded by the team. Her family. She had allowed Jason to play mind tricks on them. And after they'd killed Hank, she watched him walk away. . . She couldn't have another death in her hands.

She knocked on the door, fists clenched tight. Look who finally decided to show her face. She'd avoided coming near the manor for hours, pushing back the demanding need since she woke up. She wanted the comfort of her found family, but did they want her?

Everyone surely hated her. Especially Dawn. Artemisia had been the one to put that stupid gun in her hand, after all. She should have passed it to Dick, then maybe Conner would have reached the man and Hank would still be walking among them. But she hadn't. The pressure fell on Dawn's shoulder and she crumbled. She pulled the trigger that killed her lover.

It was all Artemisia's fault. She should have tried harder. All those months away, training from sunrise to sundown, they turned to dust when needed the most. It was her─

The door swung open. Dianna let out a gleeful cry at the sight of her. She pulled her into a tight embrace. Artemisia did not react. She was frozen. The girl pulled away, keeping one hand tight around her arm. "Thank you for coming! Come in, come in. Conner!"

Artemisia was shoved into the manor. The door shut behind her. There was no going back now. She'll have to face everyone. Dawn and Dick had surely told them about her failure. They must be disappointed. Angry. She wouldn't be welcomed. She should turn back. Right now.

"Temi! I'm glad you could make it." Conner's tone made her relax. That's two people who didn't blame her. Who didn't want her out. Only five to go. The boy gave her a short hug, taking away her breath for a second with his force. I just made coffee. Dee, help me bring some food?"

Dianna cracked a smile. Her behavior reminded her of that strange family they had had to face a while ago. It felt forced. "Take a seat. We'll be right back."

She shook her head, taking a step towards Conner. It's the least she could do for their understanding. "I could help─"

"No! We'll be okay. Go sit down."

She could not utter another protest. The pair had already left, rushed out of the foyer.

Artemisia glanced around before inviting herself in. She stepped through that long, creaky hallway decorated with ancient bookshelves. She stopped to examine a few titles, still searching for a replacement after Conner had spoiled her the last one. Boring, martial arts, legends. . . none of her interest.

She turned on her heel, facing the main living room. Two leather couches awaited inside. Her eyes keep scanning her surroundings, waiting for someone to pop up and yell at her to get out, to never show her face in Gotham. She had prepared for all that. But nobody came.