Chapter 11

Eva and I have been texting all week. We got to hang out after youth group again on Wednesday but that's the only time we've seen each other in person this week. But today is Saturday, the day of Hayden's birthday BBQ, and Eva and her family are going to be there.

We are about to leave and my dad and my brother are sitting on the couch.

"Do you both have a swimsuit?" I asked.

"Yes." They both replied.

"A change of clothes?"

"Yes."

"A mask?"

"Yes."

"Sunglasses and a hat?"

"Yes."

"And a hoodie?"

"Yes."

"Ok then let's go."

We walked out to the car and got in. We drove over to Hayden's house and walked through the side gate out to the backyard.

"What's up Davis!" My dad called to Hayden's dad.

"Hey man!" Hayden's dad called back. My dad walked over to where Mark was.

"I'm going up to Mickey's room." James told me.

"Ok. Have fun." 

"You too." I walked over to where Hayden was sitting on a couch.

"Hey Hay!"

"Hi Lynn."

"Happy birthday."

"Thanks babe."

"Hi!" Kiley exclaimed as she sat down at the table.

"Hey Ki."  I smiled at her.

"Hi." Hayden said.

"Happy birthday Hay."

"Thanks love."

"Hey guys! Happy birthday Hayden." Hadley came and sat next to Hayden.

"Thanks darling."

"Yeah of course. Micheal is really excited to be here. I'm glad we all get to be together in person."

"Yeah me too." I added.

"Same." Hayden said. "We should probably go say hi to everyone." Kiley told us.

"Yeah probably. See you guys in a bit."

I first walked up to Kiley's mom who was grabbing a drink from the counter.

"Hi Angie!"

"Oh Lynn!" Angie pulled me into a hug. "It's so good to see you."

"It's really good to see you too. How have you been?" I asked.

"I've been pretty good. You know, considering the circumstances. How about you? How's junior year going for you?"

"It's going pretty well. I'm so far doing pretty well in my classes. It's just a lot harder to learn." I told her.

"Yeah that's what Ki told me."

We talked for a few minutes before Nancy, Ella-Rose, and Conner came. I walked up behind Ella-Rose.

"Hello!" I hugged her from behind. I know a lot of people resent their parents new significant other, but I've always really liked Nancy and the kids.

"Lynn!" She turned around and hugged me.

"How are you?" I asked.

"I'm good. Mr. Merritt has been calling on me to answer a lot of questions and I always know the answer."