Chapter 2

I went to my first period AP English Lit class and quickly looked at everyone and I know a bunch of people in this class. I counted 3 girls from the soccer team, 4 guys from the football team, and Hayden. And then there was some people that I knew just from having classes with them.

"Hey guys! I'm Ms. Woodward and my pronouns are she/her. I'm quickly going to take roll and then I'll tell you a bit about myself and then we can get started... Ok so I'm Betsy Woodward, I'm 24, I graduated from Boston College and this is my second year at Lincoln. I was on the debate team in High School and at Boston. And I have a cat named Harriet. Now I'm going to put you into breakout rooms of about 4-5 people and I want you to tell them your name, favorite book, and what your most excited for this year."

The breakout room popped up.

"Aye! No introduction needed here." Marcos exclaimed. Marcos is on the football team.

"We got real lucky." Alexis added. She's a defender on the soccer team.

"Ahh yes! I'll start. I'm Hayden, y'all know that. My favorite book is The Good Girl by Mary Kubica, and I'm excited to play on the golf team." Hayden started.

"My favorite book is Behind Closed Doors by B. A. Paris, and I'm excited to be a starter this year." Marcos told us.

"I really like The Fault in Our Stars by John Green and I'm excited to be the student council VP. " Alexis went.

"Yeah so I'm Lynn. You know that. My favorite book is Untamed by Glennon Doyle and I'm excited to captain the soccer team." I said.

We talked for a few more minutes before we had to go back into the main meeting. I just kept thinking about Eva. First off I desperately wanted to get to know her.

Eventually Period 1 ended and we had 30 minutes of Tutorial, where usually we go to our teachers and ask for help if we need some but right now because we have barely started school we just have a free period.

In Lit our homework is to read the syllabus and get it signed so that's what I did. I read it and then walked downstairs to my dad's office and asked him to sign it. He quickly did and then I grabbed a snack before going to check on James.

"Hey Jamie, how's it going?" I threw him an apple which he caught.

"Thanks. It's going pretty well. I have Conner and Pen in my homeroom, and Jordan and Lukas in my Spanish class so that's fun."

"That's great! How were your teachers so far?"

"Good. Señor Armando is really nice and Mrs. Hume seems like a good math teacher. How about you?"

"It was good. My teachers seem nice and I have quite a few teammates in my classes."

"Awesome. I have some work to do so I'll see you later?"

"Yeah. Bye James." I walked back into my room and checked my phone.

I found my second period AP US Government class and joined the zoom. A minute or so later I was let in and turned on my audio. I was looking around to see who was in this class. I had one of the players on the football team, two kids on the golf team, and Eva.

"Hello everyone. You can call me Mr. Bishop, my pronouns are he/him. I already took attendance so let's dive right in. I went to University of Santa Cruz where I met my wife. We have a cat named Alice. I have two kids, a daughter named Joey and a non-binary child named Gray."

I think it's really cool how he has a non-binary child. At least I know my two of my three teachers so far are accepting.

"Ok today we're going to start with our first project. It should be an easy one. You're going to pick a person in History who changed the government or the country for the better from a government job. You should see the assignment on Canvas. You need to make a copy and then you can get started. This is due on Friday."

I quickly went to Canvas already knowing who I was going to do. I made a copy of the doc and renamed it. Then I got started searching everything possibly on Ruth Bader Ginsberg.

We got to work for about 30 minutes before doing some ice breakers as a class. It was a fun. And I've always really liked History and Mr. Bishop seems nice so it should be a good year.

Thanks for reading chapter 2. Leave a like and a comment if you liked this chapter.

- M.W.