29. "Alive for now"

I looked around me as I drowned in the sudden silence of the room. We were both in shock, I could say that for sure. I realised as I looked around that the cuts on my legs were gone, and the only trace they had left was the blood spilled on the floor. I didn't feel any pain, and I didn't feel high anymore. I just felt... different. Alexander ran towards me.

"Stella." Alexander called out my name to make me look at him. He was kneeling down to be at my height.

"I'm okay." I assured him. He put his cold hand on my face, trying to read me. I took a deep breath and avoided his intense eye contact. It was too much. Everything that had happened was so overwhelming I didn't even know where to start trying to understand it.

"What happened?" he asked softly, like he was trying not to startle me. I tried to swallow the knot that had just formed in my throat, but I was unsuccessful.

"I don't know." I said, letting my eyes meet his. He seemed... concern, which was out of character for him.

I broke the eye contact and tried to stand up. Alexander never stopped looking at me like I was wounded as I tried to stabilize myself. I achieved my goal to stand up straight in no time, but Alexander still looked worried. Dennis came into my mind as soon as I was able to formulate my thoughts again.

"Is Dennis okay?" it was all I cared about. It scared me to realize how much I loved him.

"Him and Jacqueline are still out, but they're okay." he said, and I sighed.

It suddenly fell on me what I had done. I had knocked out six of the most powerful witches on earth and their ancestors by just touching the ground and screaming. I looked around and Alexander did the same.

"How...?" he asked, leaving his question open.

"I don't know." I said as I shook my head.

I couldn't put into words what I had felt, much less what I had done. A part of me felt glad I had stopped the extinction of vampires, but another part of me felt scared of this newly acquired ability to channel magic. I took a deep breath, unsure of what to do next.

"How did you find me?" because I was now sure Dennis was okay, and I was regaining my curiosity, I had a million questions, but Alexander could answer only a few of them.

"I heard you screaming." he said. Had I been that loud? I was thankful the building was in the middle of nowhere, because otherwise we would probably have worried neighbors coming to check if everything was okay.

"How come you were the only one that heard me?" I asked.

"Because I'm three times Jacqueline's age and twelve times Dennis' age. I was the only one strong enough to never fully pass out." he explained, and I nodded.

Alexander looked me up and down in a second, like he didn't mean to, and then he nervously coughed. Only then I realized I was wearing nothing but my underwear. I blushed and crossed my arms over my chest as I looked around for my clothes. Nothing. The clothes were gone, probably because of all the wind. I cursed in my head.

"Here." Alexander took off his black leather jacket and handed it over to me. I thanked him with a smile and put on his jacket. It covered everything that needed to be covered, and Alexander was left with his simple black t-shirt.

I took a deep breath as I tried to stabilize my very agitated heartbeat. I felt like I had just come down from the biggest adrenaline rush of my life. Like I had just ride on the world's biggest rollercoaster and I was now trying to get used to being back on the ground. Alexander started walking around the room and examining the unconscious witches with his eyes.