13. "The tallest vampire in the universe"

Saying that the atmosphere in that room was intense, would've been an understatement. Dennis was angrily looking at the new vampire, Jacqueline's eyes were going back and forth between them, like she was worried something would happen, the blonde vampire looked like he was daring Dennis to come at him with his eyes, and I was standing in the middle of it without knowing what the hell to do.

"Boys, behave." Jacqueline demanded in a very calm voice. Dennis looked at her and immediately took a step back. It looked like this woman had a certain pull over him.

The tallest vampire in the universe -which is what I'd chosen to call the vampire that had just walked in until I knew his name- looked at Dennis, then he looked at me, and then he relaxed his face. He had a jawline that could split open a brick, but that was neither here nor there.

"Is this supposed to be a peace offering?" said the tall vampire. He pointed at me, but he was asking Dennis.

"A peace offering?" I thought out loud. Dennis looked like he had lost the ability to speak.

"We all know you owe me one." the tall vampire said to Dennis, and then he looked at Jacqueline. She smiled at him. They all knew each other, that was obvious, and I couldn't feel more out of place.

"Dennis." I moved his arm. He looked like he was in a trance, without being able to look away from the tall vampire.

"So, if you're not for eating, what are you for?" the tall vampire was starting to get closer to me. I felt scared, but running away from him wasn't an option. Sadly, for me, if they wanted to eat me, they could.

"That is Stella." Jacqueline said in a sarcastic tone. The tall vampire smiled, and shivers went down my spine.

"Stella?" he asked in a curious tone. He was getting closer and closer, and Dennis wasn't doing anything. I swallowed nervously. "Stella what?" he asked. I'd forgotten what words were with his proximity.

"Stella Newman." I managed to get the words out. You'd think Dennis would've pushed the tall vampire away from me by then, but he hadn't. I didn't like feeling like a damsel in distress that needed Dennis to save me every time I'd get in trouble, but I also didn't like being intimidated by the tallest vampire in the universe.

"Mmmh..." it looked like he was... smelling me? God, vampires are weird. "You're different, Stella Newman." he looked pleasantly surprised. Was I supposed to feel flattered?

Then, out of nowhere, Dennis's voice filled up my ears and it made me feel like maybe we weren't about to die.

"You said he wouldn't be here, Jacqueline." Dennis said, looking at her. The tall vampire deviated his look from me and focused it on Dennis, and then he took a few steps back, to my relief.

"He asked me. I couldn't lie to him." she admitted.

"Oh, c'mon Dennis, we haven't seen each other in such a long time. I mean, didn't you miss me at all?" he was being ironic, but Dennis didn't seem to care for it. "Let's start, shall we?"

"Sit." Jacqueline demanded, and I wasn't in a position to deny her anything, so I sat. Dennis sat next to me on the white couch, and both vampires stood in front of us.

"Dennis, what the hell is happening? Who are these people?" I whispered into his ear. And then I realised how stupid I was, whispering in front of vampires that could probably hear me from miles away.

"Old friends." Dennis said, suddenly holding my hand.

"Alright, why don't you start telling me what happened. Jacqueline said it was important." the tall vampire was talking to me. I squeezed Dennis's hand.