19. "Bad feeling"

"And how am I connected to this again?" I was getting impatient, as I often did. Alexander leaned closer to me, like he was going to tell me a secret.

"I have no clue." he admitted, and then he went back to his old position. I frowned.

"Then why am I here?" I asked. I was getting really tired of the suspense.

"Because the only way we can stop Darko is with the help of the witches, and the only way the witches will help is if I deliver you to them." he finally answered my question. I still didn't understand why the witches wanted me.

"And why me?" I asked, and then I took another bite out of the bread.

"Let's not pretend you don't know how different you are." he said as he walked away from me to get me a fork.

"They want me because I'm different?" I asked before taking a bite at the scrambled eggs. They needed a little more salt, but I decided I'd keep that to myself since he made me breakfast without me even asking him to.

"I guess so." he said as he leaned on one of the counters. "Ophelia didn't exactly ask for you by name, but she said; 'bring me the human that is like no other' and I assumed it was you." he said in a mocking tone. And suddenly I felt something I had felt before a couple of times.

I felt in danger, like someone was going to hurt me. No, it wasn't me, it was them. I couldn't explain why, but as soon as I heard the name Ophelia a really bad feeling came to me. I held on to the back of the chair and tried to calm down. It was like I was physically sick. I hadn't heard the name before, but something about it made me feel like I wanted to throw up.

"Stella." Alexander rushed over to me at vampire speed and he put his hand on my waist to help me from falling. I softly pushed him away once I regained the ability to stand up.

"I'm fine." I assured him.

"What happened?" he asked, now a couple of feet away from me.

"I don't feel good." I told him. The physical discomfort was gone, but I was left with a bad feeling; like something horrible was about to happen.

"Are you sick?" he asked. I wondered when was the last time Alexander had had to deal with a sick human. My guess was; a long time ago.

"No, it's just..." I didn't know how to explain what I'd felt without sounding insane. "I had a really bad feeling all the sudden." I said as I sat back down in the chair.

"Good. I thought you were going to die for a second." he said, relieved.

"Why do you care if I die?" I asked, and then took a big sip of orange juice.

"I wouldn't have much to give to Ophelia if you died." he said, as he sat in the chair next to me. The bad feeling came back when he said that name again, but I was able to control it. "I told you, you're about to save so many lives."

"Who's Ophelia?" I asked, as I ignored the pit that formed in my stomach.

"She's the leader of the coven." he answered. "Does the name ring any bells?" he asked me, like he knew I'd felt something when I heard it.

"I don't think I've heard it before, but when you said it..." I thought maybe if I explained to Alexander what I'd felt, he'd think twice about giving me to her. "I don't know how to explain it, I jut had a really bad feeling." I said. He rolled his eyes.

"You humans and your 'bad feelings'." he said as he did air quotes. I gave him an offended look.

"It's not like that, I..." he interrupted me.