Chapter Sixteen

I'm a bit sad to write this...

Ch. 16

I sighed, walking down the street to pass by Mike's before going to Edwards place.

"Hey, what's up Avery, you don't work today?" He asked.

"I just needed to stop by for my check" I laughed. He widened his eyes in realization.

"Oh! Right" he laughed, walking over to the office. I stood at the counter, waiting for him.

"Here you go Avery" I grinned taking the paper from him.

"Thanks Mike, see you tomorrow"

"Bring my grease monkey friend!" He laughed. I grinned walking out, for around three p.m. it had gotten dark, the clouds hiding the sun from shining. My walk to Edwards was short and I was glad he let me walk to his place. I was a bit surprised to see Anne open the door for me, her smile not meeting her eyes when she let me in and sat down at the table with me.

"Edwards out at the shop" she explained. I nodded and just when I was about to as what was bothering her she sighed.

"Avery, I've known you since you we're a little girl" she smiled.

"You've made Edward so happy and it makes me feel so good to know that you two have finally gotten together" she grinned.

"Is something wrong Anne?" I asked. Tears welled up in her eyes, her smile faltering and her brows furrowed.

"Avery I have cancer" my eyes widened, my heart dropping and one thing that I wanted to know was.

Did Edward know?

"I-does-"

"No, he doesn't and you must keep this between us, he can't know, not now"

"How far along is it?" I asked with a wagering voice.

"It's too late for treatment, my tumor is too big for surgery. They give me medication when my shift ends before I come home, it helps with the pain" she mumbled.

"What type of cancer is it?"

"Pancreatic cancer"

"Anne, I-I'm so sorry" I whispered.

"It's fine dear, it's not your fault, my families medical history is sadly stuck with it"

"Does-"

"No, dear. I promise I've had Edward monitored on it, it's probably why I caught this so late" she sighed.

"I need you to know, Avery, you're the only one who can keep my Edward safe" I let out a heavy breath, how am I going to keep this from him?

"I'll tell him when I'm ready, just please. I need you to be there for him" I nodded, smiling softly at her.

"I'll be there Anne. I promise" I mumbled, standing up to give her a hug. My heart stopped when I heard the roar of Edwards motor bike, pulling away from Anne.

"Do you need any help cooking?" I asked. She grinned, nodding. I had learned everything about cooking from her, while she was next door to me. I had learned a few more recipes since then.

"Mum. I'm home" I couldn't help the smile tugging at my lips, Edward was home.

"Avery" he laughed when I tackled him to the ground. Kissing his cheek before getting up and taking the bags from him.

"Wait" he whispered. I watched him reach into one bag and pull out a small box. My eyes widened when I saw what they were.

"Ed" I blushed, his hips lifting to mine.