Chapter Twelve ~Ed~

Ch. 12

"up!" I shouted, watching as the kid held up his arms and blocked. the boys name was Andrew and he looked familiar, he must've been in year nine at the high school. his stance was strong but his arms were too high. I punched him in his exposed area, feeling his muscles flexed, ready to take a punch. he grunted lightly, pushing my hand away. he was getting angry.

"you need them lower if you plan on blocking a punch worse than that" I mumbled, we were practicing for about two hours now. the kid wanted to train with me if he wasn't going to fight me, he wanted to learn from me.

"damn it!" he muttered.

"Don't think about the next hit he's going to give, think about the next one you'll give"

"when am I going to fight?!" he yelled. I sighed, this kid was really planning on having me for his first fight?

"why?" I asked calmly.

"because I know I'm ready!"

"really, you're ready to fight?!" I shouted. I could see his move before he even made it, my arm quickly went up, blocking his hit. my fist went to his stomach and as I expected he wasn't ready for it, the hit hurting more. I lifted my knee, bringing him down to hit his stomach again, letting him fall to the cold cement floor of the, familiar, run down building Danny let us practice in.

"Oh" he groaned, holding his stomach.

"listen you little shit, I don't know why you chose me for a first fight, but you're not cut out for this!"

"neither were you!" I looked down at the kid as he tried getting up.

"I was a stupid kid and now look at me, you really wanted to fight me?!"

"yes!"

"why?" I growled, I was starting to get pissed off.

"because! if I can take you I can take any one! I can finally help my sister!" his voice was weak and raw. I was curious, maybe he wasn't stupid, it wasn't uncommon for kids like him to look for any way to make money, this just happened to be the worst possible choice that no one would choose willingly.

"what's wrong with her?"

"like you care, I used to want to be like you" he spat. ouch.

"just tell me and I might actually think about helping you" I snapped.

"she's in a coma" he muttered. I could feel my stomach twisting in knots. this kid had it rough, he needed this kind of money, something guaranteed, win or lose. this was the business for that, most of these pricks do it for their own stupid reasons, they don't need the money for their families, like they cared. people like me weren't common in these parts.

"if you want, I can teach you a few tricks I've learned, get you some faster money" his blue eyes brightened in hope, excitement clear in his face.

"r-really, you'll teach me?!"

"yes, but you can't tell anyone"

"of course! just, thank you, thanks so much Styles!"

"it's Edward" I mumbled, he nodded quickly, grabbing his things and running off. I sighed, packing up my things.

"Eddie!" I gritted my teeth at the sound of Danny's voice.

"what?" I muttered.

* * *

I sighed, wincing in pain when I fell to my bed, Nanook being the only one to comfort me, Avery had gone home this morning, she wanted to have something appropriate to wear on our date, on Monday. it was already ten thirty and I had just come back from a fight, Danny found a last minute bet and shoved me in because he knew I needed the money. mum was doing good, but I was the one paying rent, she made good money, but she'd normally spend it on food and the little we'd have left she'd put in a college fund she had for me. I thought it was useless, but she still wanted to leave me something. there was a time when I wanted to go to art and photography school and learn more than I already know, but it was a stupid dream, mum needed me here.