fifty-five

"We did everything we could, we couldn't save him anymore." 

"What?" 

"He passed away ten minutes ago, I'm very sorry." 

Julia's eyes widened, her cheeks still burning from the tears that had been rolling over them all day. It had to be a joke; not Dom too. She couldn't lose them both. 

"How?! I lost my baby a week ago! How did you fail saving at least one of them?!" 

"I'm so, so sorry ma'am. I promise we did everything we could." 

"Fuck!" she yelled, her voice echoing through the hallway of the hospital, making multiple people turn their heads but no one helped her. 

She buried her face in her hands and let out the loudest scream ever produced. Then she broke down until she was out of breath. The two most important people in her life; both gone because of her. 

Because she couldn't just listen to what Dom had told her.

-

Julia gasped for air as her eyes shot open, sweat dripping of her face. She looked around in panic, only to realize she wasn't in a hospital. In fact, she was in Dom's living room: laying on the couch she had fallen asleep on. 

Her scream she had let out in her dream when she found out both Dom and their baby died, kept echoing in her head. As if it had really happened. It scared her so much.

With her hands shaking uncontrollably, Julia pushed herself up and made her way to Dom's bedroom. She just wanted to check if he was alright; she didn't even need to talk to him. 

Julia ignored the pain in basically her entire body while she was walking up the stairs. The bedroom door was slightly opened, but there was no light coming out of the room. 

Her heart was still racing from her dream, and she hoped it would slow down when she saw Dom laying in his bed. But once she opened the door and saw the bed was in fact empty, her heartbeat picked up its pace even more. 

"Dom?" Julia tried calling him while she turned around and rushed to the bathroom where no one was either. "Dom are you home?" 

No answer, which made her run back down to the kitchen and his small music studio. Both were empty, and when she ran into the hallway she saw Dom's jacket was gone. 

Even though it seemed almost physically impossible for her to move so fast as every single part of her body hurt so much it was killing her, Julia ran back to the couch to grab her phone. 

It wasn't easy to search Dom's number with her hands shaking like that and her mind all over the place. It was even harder to wait for him to pick up while the phone was ringing so slowly

She finally got voicemail after what felt like five minutes, and Julia's heart jumped and instantly threw her phone away on the couch. 

What scared her, was that she had had dreams like this before; where she dreamt something which was true after all. Some kind of predictive dream, but in a slightly different context. 

She tried calling Dom three other times, but he never picked up. The last time she even got his voicemail immediately after calling, which wasn't a good sign at all. 

She gave up, grabbing her stuff to go to his spot again although she didn't even want to face it again. 

Right after she grabbed her phone to leave, her screen turned on and Dom's name showed up. Julia immediately dropped everything and answered within a second.