fifty-one

Although Julia had promised Dom to wake up with him, she woke up way before him in reality. She didn't expect him to wake up before her anyway, though, especially after how everything had gone after they arrived at the hospital.

Dom had started freaking out for an unknown reason and they had put him on a machine to help him breathe and fall asleep. They had even told Julia she basically saved him, which had caused her to barely be able to sleep the entire night.

He looked fragile laying there in the small hospital bed that looked everything but comfortable but was just right for him to finally relax. Even though she had noticed before, the machine helped her see how his face was so thin and his cheekbones were so visible everytime he breathed in.

She couldn't keep her eyes off of him though, and she was still staring when Dom opened his eyes, making her jump a little.

She wanted to look away, not knowing what to expect from him as the last time he was sober he was mad at her. She couldn't make herself look away and surprisingly Dom smiled at her.

"You're very good at scaring me by now," Julia told him talking about the fact that it was the second time in a short amount of time Dom nearly died. She thought he realized what happened, but his eyes still widened when he wanted to talk and realized something was attached to his mouth to breathe.

"What did they do?" he asked, tugging it to try to take it off but letting it on eventually.

"You freaked out and they gave you some extra oxygen to calm you down."

"Extra oxygen," Dom repeated, chuckling softly. "Okay."

Julia slowly started smiling, happy how Dom didn't seem freaked out right now. She honestly expected him to be extremely confused, but so far he seemed pretty calm.

"I don't remember... much," Dom said quietly and he tried to sit up, but something seemed to hurt which made him lay down again. Or maybe it was the fact that the wires attached to him made it pretty hard for him to move.

"You got drunk because you were-"

"-sad," Dom jumped in and he nodded. "Yeah, I can remember being sad."

"Oh," Julia said and she tried her hardest not to show how sad that made her in her turn. "Are you still?"

It was silent, and Julia let it be silent for a moment to let Dom think, or whatever he needed to do right now. He was probably thinking though, as he shook his head after a few seconds and said "can we just forget everything?"

"Sure," she agreed. "I'm glad you're okay now. We can pretend like yesterday never-"

"I mean everything. Literally everything," Dom corrected her, turning his head towards while still having his head on his pillow after another attempt of sitting up. "Everything from when we broke up until now."

She wanted to do everything to make Dom feel alright again, of course, but forgetting the past weeks wasn't something they could just do. They couldn't just go home together and act like nothing ever happened.

"I can forget yesterday," Julia told him insecurely, as she was scared he was going to be mad at her for some reason. "And I can forget the day before, maybe, if I try. But I can't just forget everything."

Dom sighed and turned his head away to stare at the ceiling. "I just want us to be okay again. And I want to forgive you but I feel like I can only forgive you if I just forget everything."

"You want us to... be together again?"

Dom turned his head back pretty quick and frowned at her. "Of course, Jules. I may have been drunk yesterday but I think I was pretty clear."