fifty

At least Julia still had the keys for Dom's apartment, so she wouldn't have to wait for him to open the door for her. She wondered if he would even do that, but she quickly guessed the answer was no: when she found him sitting on the couch with his eyes widen, a bottle of whiskey on his lap and a knife in his left hand. 

"It's me," Julia told him calmly even though the knife kind of scared her. She looked at it, watching how it slightly trembled due to his shaky hand. Dom sighed and slowly lowered the knife to his leg, laying it down. 

"I forgot you would come. I thought you were-" Dom mumbled, trailing off. He let his head fall against the couch and closed his eyes. 

"Are you still okay with me coming over?" Julia asked him softly, still not moving away from where she was standing.

Dom nodded. "Yeah." 

That invited her to walk over to the couch and take place next to him. The first thing she did was pick the knife up from his leg and laying it on the floor, shoving it underneath the couch with her foot. 

She then wanted to take away the bottle of whiskey from him, but Dom stopped her and opened his eyes again so he could look at her. 

"You can't drink," he slurred. "It's not good for the baby." 

"I'm taking it away from you, Dom," Julia answered him, pulling on the bottle again but Dom's hand remained on hers to stop her. 

"It's not empty yet," he said. 

"But you should stop drinking." 

"Only when I'm not sad anymore." 

Julia sighed and took her hand away from the bottle just to tuck his quite long hair behind his ear, playing with it for a few seconds. She saw how he slightly flinched but he didn't really seem to mind. 

"You're still sad?" 

Dom hummed as he looked down and started playing with the lid of the bottle. Julia's eyes were on the whiskey as well now just to make sure he wouldn't open it. 

"Drinking isn't gonna help you, though." 

Dom raised his shoulders in silence and twisted the lid of the bottle slowly, only for him to look down into the bottle. "It's not empty yet." 

Julia did another attempt to push the bottle down and take it away from him, and this time it surprisingly worked. Dom just fell back against the couch once Julia put the bottle on the floor. 

"You're so far gone," Julia told him seriously, which caused Dom to furrow his eyebrows and answer "'m right here." 

He sounded rather confused which was enough for Julia to know he couldn't even think straight enough to know what she meant with it. She still smiled at his confusion. "I know." 

It was silent as Dom turned his head to her side but didn't open his eyes yet. He just breathed in and out slowly before saying "I'm sad." 

Whenever Dom was drunk, he tended to say the same things over and over again. Whether it was because he forgot he said it already or because it was the only thing he could think about. Julia was quite used to him saying I love you all night, though, which he normally did whenever they got drunk together.