forty-four

"Can you turn off your alarm? Please? It's my only free day," Senna said, waking Julia up who instantly groaned as she just got woken up from her deepest sleep.

"What?" Julia mumbled, turning around just to hear her phone ringing.

"Your fucking alarm. Turn it off," her sister said annoyed, sounding just as sleepy and irritated as Julia was.

"I never even-"

"Well it's going off so make it shut up!"

Blindly, Julia tried to reach for her phone when the alarm already stopped, leaving the girls both with their eyes open in the now silent and dark room.

"Thank you," her sister mumbled before she turned and was all silent again. Julia frowned, just now realizing it really was coming from her phone even though she never even set an alarm. She hadn't set one for weeks.

Despite the fact that the alarm already stopped, she still grabbed her phone to look at the screen. It was two in the morning, which was probably the reason why they were so tired and why the room was still dark.

Once Julia's eyes were used to the light coming from her screen, she saw she had a few notifications. When she saw she had four missed calls, she realized the alarm probably hadn't been an alarm.

It took another few seconds before she could read what was on the screen. There wasn't even a name. Just a number.

Who would even try to call her at two in the morning?

Julia shrugged and decided to just turn off her volume and go back to sleep. But that was when she noticed the texts too, from the same number.

-

+1-541-7**-****: hi. it's ashley. if you see this, could you please respond? it's very urgent and serious.

+1-541-7**-****: i know it may seem random but it's important that you reply so we can talk

Julia: fuck off you're not ashley

1-541-7**-****: huh

1-541-7**-****: yes i am

1-541-7**-****: this is julia right? i hope it's the right number. i got it from dom

Julia: stop messing around. i've been through shit like this. i'm trying to sleep goodbye.

1-541-7**-****: i'm not messing around? it's ashley, i'm sorry if anyone ever pretended to be me but i swear it wasn't me

Julia: how do i know lmao

Julia: the "other" ashley seemed pretty legit

1-541-7**-****: well they weren't

1-541-7**-****: listen. +44 1302 ****** is dom's number. you can confirm.

1-541-7**-****: check that in your phone

Julia: yes it is

1-541-7**-****: how could i know if i wasn't ashley?

Julia: idk?

Julia: anyway it doesn't matter. IF you're the real ashley i don't wanna talk to you either

Julia: for pretty obvious reasons

1-541-7**-****: no no that's why i'm texting you. it's about that.

1-541-7**-****: someone has been messing with you

1-541-7**-****: i had no idea wtf was going on until dom texted me about it