twenty-eight

"Wait."

Dom shortly waved at the band so they would stop playing for a moment and he turned towards Julia.

"What if you sing that same sentence but a little higher? I'll try to harmonize with it."

Julia pressed her lips together as she nodded shortly, preparing herself to sing again.

"Hiding all my feelings but I know that I'm not-"

Dom had started harmonizing with her already, when Julia cut herself off and shook her head. "It's too fucking high, I can't do it."

"You sounded great," Dom told her seriously, but she shook her head.

"I won't be able to do it tonight."

"Babe." Dom sighed and lowered his microphone to come a little closer to Julia. "You've been trying to bring yourself down the entire time now. It's not gonna work like that."

"Then it's not gonna work," Julia shrugged and lowered her microphone as well, wanting to lay it on the floor as a sign she was done practicing, but Dom stopped her by grabbing her wrist.

"It is gonna work. I know you're nervous. But you're a great singer, really."

Julia slightly rolled her eyes as she was avoiding eye contact with Dom. She was just staring at the stage doors at the other side of the venue, knowing that there already were a few fans waiting for Dom, not knowing Julia would be performing too tonight. She just couldn't stop thinking about how they probably didn't even want her to sing.

"You'll be fine. I would never ask you if I didn't think you're great." Dom tugged her arm to make her look at him, which worked.

"I don't know. I'm so nervous I-"

"I'm nervous too, honey. Every fucking show. But that doesn't mean you can't do it."

Julia sighed and looked down at their shoes. She slightly moved her feet as she was aware of them now and felt herself getting caught up in her thoughts while Dom was still looking at her.

"We don't have to do the harmony. We'll do whatever the fuck you feel like you can do," he spoke, pulling her out of her thoughts quickly.

Julia moved her microphone back up again as she asked "can we just practice the harmony once again?"

Dom's worried face made place for a content smile and he nodded before communicating with the band again.

"Of course we can."

-

Dom had given her a bit of confidence during soundcheck, which had made Julia feel like she could actually do it for a good hour. Though, once she heard the doors open and people come inside, the confidence left as quickly as it came.

"They're gonna think I want to be famous too. What if they think I'm doing it to get famous?"

"Jules please," Dom spoke, sounding rather annoyed. "They won't."

"It's either that or me messing up the performance," Julia said determinedly as she checked herself in the mirror again and again to make sure she looked alright.

In the corner of her eye she saw how Dom put down his phone and stood up from the couch in the changing room to walk over to her and look at her through the mirror.

"It doesn't have to go wrong. You know it can go well too, right?"

Julia raised her shoulders and held them high only to let them fall after two seconds with a sigh. "'M just nervous."