chapter 10

"Hey, man" Sam says, looking at me and Steve. We probably look like hell.

"I'm sorry about this. We need a place to lay low" Steve says, very sorry that we had to involve Sam into this.

"Everyone we know is trying to kill us" I say, looking down.

"Not everyone" Sam says, letting us inside.

~~~~~

Me and Steve clean up quickly and I'm sitting on a bed drying my hair. Steve is washing his hands. He comes out and asks me,

"Are you okay?"

"Not really but when am I ever" I reply, still drying my hair.

Steve comes and sits on the bed with me before he speaks.

"What's going on?"

I sigh and look down before talking.

"Everything. I thought that ever since I found my parents, everything would be okay and, I thought that living in the world I always dreamed about would somehow make my situation better. I guess, I never really realised how lonely I was until I met you, and... and everyone else. I can't feel relaxed or safe. Ever. I know what happens in the future and it's driving me crazy. I want to keep my family safe, as long as I can. I don't care how, I just need to protect you all because I never thought I would ever have a family as kind, loving, selfless and amazing as this one. If, in the future, I fail, then I can't imagine how my life would be" A tear slips from my eye and Steve wipes it away and makes me look at him.

He smiles at me.

"I owe you"

I shake my head.

"Its okay"

"If it were the other way around, and it was down to me to save your life, now be honest, would you trust me to do it?" Steve asks, looking me straight in the eye.

"Yes, 1000%.  And I'm always honest" I say smiling.

"Well, you seem pretty chipper and I thought that was my job" Steve says, smirking.

"Well, guess I just like to know who I'm fighting" I say back causing both of us to chuckle.

"I made breakfast" Sam says. Me and Steve look at Sam and he continues.

"If you guys eat that sort of thing" He walked out, leaving me and Steve alone.

~~~~~

Me, Steve and Sam are talking. Sam is eating and I'm kinda confused at this point because I was too dumb to remember everything that happens in the frickin movies.

"So, the question is, who at S.H.I.E.L.D could launch a domestic missile strike?" I ask.

"Pierce" Steve replies.

"Who happens to be sitting on top of the most secure building in the world"

"He's not working alone. Zola's algorithm was on the Lumerian Star" Steve said.

"So was Jasper Sitwell" I say, finally remembering this scene.

I cross my arms and look at Steve.

"So the real question is, how do the two most wanted people in Washington kidnap a S.H.I.E.L.D officer in broad daylight?" Steve asks.

"The answer is, you don't" Sam says, putting a file on the table in front of Steve.

"What's this?" Steve asks.

"Call it, his resume" I say, looking at Sam "The khalid khandil mission was you" I say looking at Sam, not even taking a glance at the file.

"Is this Riley?" Steve asks.

"Yeah" Sam replies.

"They couldn't bring in a chopper cuz of the RPG's, you used the wings."

Sam gave Steve another file with the wings displayed.

"I thought you said you were a pilot?"

"He never said pilot, Steve" I say.

"I can't ask you to do this, Sam" Steve said. So caring "You got out for a good reason" Steve continued.

"Dude, Captain America need my help. There's no better reason to get back in"

"Steve, he's gonna do it, even if you don't want him to. Just saying before you start an argument"

Steve thinks for a moment before saying,

"Where can we get our hands on one of these things?"

"The last one is at Fort Meade. Behind 3 guarded gates and a 12-inch steel wall" Sam says.

Steve looks at me and I shrug my shoulders. He looks back at Sam and says,

"Shouldn't be a problem"

~~~~~

I see Sam calling Sitwell and talking to him. I know what he is saying and I'm the one who has the red mark on his tie. I'm really worried about Bucky. I don't know when I'm going to see him or if I'm going to see him at all. I just hope he's okay.

Me and Steve were on the roof, trying to get answers out of Sitwell. Steve kicked him and said,

"Tell us about Zola's algorithm"

"Never heard of it" Sitwell said, standing up and putting his glasses back on.

"What were you doing on the Lumerian Star?" I asked.

Me and Steve were walking closer and Sitwell was going backwards till he hit the edge of the building roof.

"I was throwing up. I get see sick"

He almost fell off the edge till Steve grabbed him by his clothes and pulled him closer.

"Is this little display meant to insinuate that you're gonna throw me off the roof? Because it's really not your style, Rogers" Sitwell said.

Steve let go and straightened his clothing till he said,

"You're right. It's not. It's hers"

He stepped aside and I kicked Sitwell, in the face might I add, off the roof. It felt great.

"Oh, wait. What about that girl from Accounting" I joke "L... Laura-"

"Lillian. Lip piercing, right?" Steve said, pointing to his lips, knowing I'm joking, pretending to be Nat.

"Yeah, she's cute" I say.

"Yeah. I'm not ready for that"

"You know I was kidding right?" I ask.

"Yeah, I know"

Sitwell is screaming and Sam brings him up to the building again in his wingsuit and glasses. We walk toward him and he starts talking. Finally.

"Zola's algorithm is a program... for choosing... Insight's targets" he says between breaths.

"What targets?" Steve asks.

"You, her! A TV anchor in Cairo, the Under Secretary of Defense, a high school valedictorian in Lowa City, Bruce Banner, Steven Strange, anyone who's a threat to HYDRA. Now, or in the future"

"In the future? How could it know?" Steve asked.

Sitwell just laughed.

"How could it not?"

Shit. I always forget about these scenes. What is wrong with me.

"The 21st century is a digital book. Zola taught HYDRA how to read it." I said coldly.

Steve and Sam look at me with confusion.

"Your bank records, medical history, voting patterns, emails, phone calls, your damn SAT scores. Zola's algorithm evaluates people's past to predict their future" I say, so embarrassed I didn't remember this before.

"And what then?" Steve asks, very intrigued. He turned to Sitwell.

"Oh my god, Pierce is gonna kill me" Sitwell says.

"What then?" Steve asked again getting closer. I sigh.

"Then the Insight helicarries scratch people off the list" I say, looking down "A few million at a time" I continue.