Chapter 19

My hands were shaking when we entered the Taylor household, everyone going their separate ways to change into more comfortable clothes. I followed Randy down into the basement, going straight into my room in a daze. I struggled to pull my dress off as my nerves spiked, deciding to put on my usual, black hoodie with jeans, not wanting to be obvious I had something important to discuss with Randy. I pulled my hair down, fixing it into a low, messy, yet cute ponytail, keeping my makeup in place, so that I would look a little extra presentable. I inhaled sharply before exiting my room, just finding Randy already in a red polo shirt and dark jeans, using his mouse for his computer as he worked on a program.

"Hey, Randy," I quietly greeted, faking my best smile, grateful his door was already open, so I knew I wouldn't be bothering him.

"Hey, Katie," Randy replied, looking over at me until back at the glowing screen before him.

"I wanted to talk to you about something," I admitted, messing with my sweater sleeve.

"Yeah, I have something I want to talk about with you too," Randy responded, my heart thudding in my ears. Could it possibly be the same reason?

He went over to one of his shelves as I sat on the edge of his bed, my hands resting in my lap. When Randy returned he had a sweet smile on his face, and it was a bit contagious as I mirrored it.

"What is it," I curiously wondered.

"Valentine's Day is coming up and was wondering..." He sat next to me on his mattress before pulling out a small, square black box. "Do you think Lauren will like this necklace?" He then revealed a silver chain with an "R" pendant hanging from it, causing any ounce of joy I had to plummet.

"I'm sure she'll love it." I didn't mean for my voice to come out almost as softly as a whisper, but it did. This was the last time I could handle him breaking my heart, and it showed.

"Great. Brad and I had no idea what to get for our girlfriends this year," he shared, oblivious to my change in demeanor.

"She'll love it," I repeated, feeling as though I was a robot, no longer in control of my actions.

"Hey, you okay? You don't look so good," Randy observed, gazing at me as I gulped down air, but my lungs felt as though they were empty.

"I'm fine." My lips started to quiver as the tears pricked at my eyes, and I was afraid if I talked more tears would begin to fall.

"You're not fine. Otherwise you wouldn't be crying."

"It doesn't matter." I had never heard myself sound more broken before, and I could tell even Randy was growing pretty concerned.

"Katie, you know you can tell me anything, right?" He then gently took my hand as I bit my lower lip, my vision becoming blurred before a single tear slid down my cheek.

"Is it really that serious between you and Lauren," I bluntly asked, avoiding his gaze.

"Well, I guess so. We have been going out for awhile. Why? Do you not like her," he hesitantly questioned.

"No, she's great..." I wasn't sure how he could hear my voice at this point with the almost muted volume.

"What's this got to do with Lauren?"

I dared to lift my head, knowing I was in too deep now to not just to go through with this tough conversation. Randy's blue eyes were a beautiful blur as I kept attempting to fight off the tears. I just stared at Randy as he did the same, his eyebrows faintly furrowed in concern.

"I can't take it anymore, seeing you with her, especially when I saw you kissing outside after my last birthday party! I wish it was me instead, okay?" My voice quavered as the water works started up again only worse. "I want to be with you, Randy. I love you, and I have since we were like 12, but you got a girlfriend, and then I tried to move on by dating Matt. So, you can hate me all you want, but I had to tell you. I'm through pretending." I whipped my head to look down at the floor, an agonizing few seconds ticking by.

"Katie, I could never hate you." His tone was gentle as he delicately took my hand closest to him. I still refused to look at him as he spoke, just listening. "This is just a lot to process. I think I need some time to figure things out."

"I understand..."

"Okay," he stated.

"Okay," I asked confusedly as I finally turned my head in his direction.

"I've thought about it. I feel the same way that you do, Katie. Some of the reason why I kissed Lauren like that was because I was mad you were kissing Matt at your party. That's why I hid your present. I'm sorry, it was stupid, but it killed me to see you with him. I had never though of you being with someone else before."

"Then why did you start dating Lauren if you liked me?"

He sighed softly through his nose before answering, "It was kind of awkward when you moved in all of a sudden. I wasn't sure how that would work if we dated. I didn't want Mom and Dad on our case, especially since Dad was building your room down here with mine. Then I just figured you couldn't feel the same way. I thought you liked Brad for awhile."

"I've never liked Brad like that," I interjected.

"I know, but at the time I wasn't sure what to think. He was spending all his time with you."

"He just broke up with Nicole," I sternly defended.

"I know that now. But I could never get over you. You've been on my mind ever since Christmas. Up until then I had blocked you out, but I just couldn't do it anymore, and the way you looked at the wedding," he emphasized, the tiniest of smiles appearing on my lips as he had a special smile of his own. "Well, let's just say I could hardly keep my eyes off of you."

I couldn't believe all of this was happening, the way his speech flowed freely, how my heart gradually felt that multiple patches were being put on it to fix it.

"I think it's time I broke up with Lauren, unless you want to stay with Matt." He used subtle sarcasm as my senses finally returned, and I threw my arms around his neck. It was the first time in ages I had hugged him and it felt warm, comforting like I was whole again. He wrapped his arms around my waist as he returned the gesture, me closing my eyes as I savored this moment. I had never appreciated anything more, knowing that Randy returned my long felt feelings. I wasn't sure how long we stayed in our embrace, but it easily was at least 5 minutes, but it was much needed. After we slowly pulled away I was dying to kiss him, but he stopped me.

"Wait, we have to tell Lauren and Matt it's over first. Otherwise it's cheating," he pointed out.

"Okay, meet you back here in a little bit," I exclaimed, him smiling widely as he hid a laugh, watching me run out of his room. He shook his head before following me, just telling his mom we would be out for a bit. Brad gave us a confused look, clearly trying to process why Randy and I would be leaving together. We both ended up meeting with our current boyfriend or girlfriend at different places, breaking the news to them. Matt took it fairly well, especially since he sensed that I might have special feelings for Randy lately. We were a good match but not even close to a forever. We both hugged before going our separate ways, Randy appearing exhausted when I met him in the Taylors' empty living room.

"Lauren took it kind of hard, but in the end she understood. I had to comfort her for awhile though," Randy explained.

I nodded my head faintly as we walked up to each other in a daze, our eyes intensely locked on one another's. That's when he tilted his head, me having to remind myself to close my eyes, since I couldn't fathom this was actually happening. His lips hesitantly brushed against mine before they met, and I had to say he was a much better kisser now than when we were 13. I wrapped my arms around his neck as my heart fluttered when he kept the kissing going a little longer, his hands becoming tangled in my hair. After he pulled away our eyes danced between one another's, and then we just got the goofiest grins on our faces. We were together now. Life was good.

A/N: Hey guys, I felt like it was time that Katie and Randy finally got together, and I loved writing about that so much! I'm excited to write about them dating now. This is definitely one of my favorite stories to write for, especially since it makes me feel like I'm living in the "Home Improvement" world. (X I hope you enjoyed this chapter. Please remember to comment, vote, and follow if you did. Thank you so much! <3