Chapter 10

Nicole just came over to my house directly after school on Friday, her purple duffle bag slung over her shoulder, her yellow backpack on the other. "When are Kimmy and DJ coming over," she wondered as we entered the front door. Brad, Randy, and Mark weren't too far behind since we all shared the same bus.

"Around 5," I answered, glancing at the clock that read almost 4.

"I guess that gives us about an hour," Nicole commented, Brad grinning at her after he stepped over the threshold.

"Hey, Nicole," he spoke, Nicole beaming at her boyfriend as she blushed extra faintly.

"Hi, Brad."

Randy rolled his eyes as they got caught up in their own, little world, him joining me in the kitchen where I was getting the snacks out.

"Mom won't be happy you plan on eating before dinner," Randy noted.

"No offense, but I don't want my friends eating your mom's cooking."

"None taken. I was hoping for pizza tonight, since you had friends coming over."

"Maybe we can persuade her," I suggested.

"No chance, she already has a lasagna in the oven," Brad observed, overhearing our conversation as he came over, his arm draped over Nicole's shoulders.

"Her lasagna's not too bad, right?"

Randy widened his eyes for a moment as he sighed. "It depends what you mean by bad."

"Hey guys, you need any help setting up for your sleepover," Jill asked Nicole and I after she entered the kitchen.

I froze at first, afraid she might have heard our prior conversation, but she didn't seem to have a clue about it.

"No, we're good. I was just getting some snacks out."

"If you girls want to order a pizza or something for dinner, then that's fine."

"Why do they get to have pizza," Brad complained.

"Don't worry, your father and I can eat the lasagna tonight. You can have the leftovers tomorrow night."

"Okay," Randy caved, not seeming keen about having to eat the home cooked meal the next day. I wasn't thrilled either, since that meant it would also be my supper.

After a whole hour of Nicole and Brad cuddling on the chair, while Randy and I stared at the television bored out of our minds on the couch, Kimmy and DJ finally showed up. Tim answered the door, revealing the two girls with duffle bags, each in a different color. Thankfully they also were a different shade than Nicole's, that way they wouldn't get their things mixed up.

"What's Kimmy doing here," Randy questioned, not sounding happy at all.

"Good to see you again too, Squirt," Kimmy reacted.

"What's that suppose to mean?" Randy squinted his eyes at the girl.

"It means you're short," she bluntly said, Randy just giving her a blank look.

"Kimmy, you're here," their dad reluctantly said.

"Good to see you again, Mr. T. I watch your show every day. My mom likes Al, but my dad likes ya!"

"Thanks, Kimmy," Tim flatly reacted, clearly not happy about her being there.

"I'm ordering a pizza. What do you kids want on it," Jill asked us.

"Lots of anchovies," Kimmy instantly answered with her eyes shining. All of us made a face, even Tim and Jill, but they were a bit more discreet about it.