Chapter 21

I felt nervous but mostly excited as I got dressed up for my first date with Randy. Brad was going to distract everyone, so that we could sneak out together. I sighed as I struggled to curl my hair on the back of my head, hoping it would end up looking alright. I decided to wear a pretty, red dress that fell to my knees. The top of it was kind of sparkly, but I loved it. I slipped on my black flats and I was ready, pulling a long, white cardigan over me just in case anyone saw me. When I walked into the living room, Randy was already sitting on the couch in his dark, nice suit. I grinned as I went to where he was, covering his eyes before kissing his cheek softly.

"Hi," I whispered shyly.

"Hey... Nicole?"

I playfully pushed his shoulder a tiny bit after I removed my hands. "No, it's me, Katie." I wrapped my arms around his neck from behind, wishing I could see his face from this position.

"We better get going. I don't know if Brad can stall everyone much longer," Randy spoke, standing as he went to where I was behind the couch.

"What did he do," I wondered, Randy's hand naturally finding mine.

"He told them there was a funny smell in the garage, kind of like smoke."

Just then we heard the garage door being opened, causing us to bolt straight for the front door, but right when we accidentally let go of each other's hands, we heard Jill's voice from the side of the kitchen.

"Hey, you two, where are you going all dressed up," she inquired.

"Katie and I are going on a date... with other people of course. I'm walking with her, since... it's a double date," Randy lied, doing pretty well with keeping his voice calm.

"Oh. Well, have a good time. Remember, both of your curfews are at 11," Jill reminded us.

"Don't worry, Mom, we'll be back in time," Randy promised, leading me out of the house.

"That was a close one," I breathed once we were alone and there was a barrier between us and his family.

"Yeah."

My hand slipped into his again as he led me to the restaurant he had picked. It was a nice, Italian place, and we both ordered water to save money.

"So... what do you want to talk about," Randy questioned after some silence.

"I don't know... What do you want to talk about?"

"I got you a present," he suddenly shot out, pulling a long, small, shiny, pink wrapped package out of his suit jacket.

"You didn't have to get me anything." I took the object, opening it to reveal a fountain pen with my initials on it. "Awww... That's so sweet."

"You're not just saying that? Because I actually had something else I wanted to give you, but I wasn't sure if I should."

"No, I really do love it, but what was the other thing?"

"You promise you won't get upset," he wondered, confusing me even further.

"Yeah, what is it, Randy?" He pulled out a familiar black velvet box I had seen before, revealing the necklace with the first letter of his name hanging from it.

"I know I originally got this for Lauren, but I would rather you have it anyway. Plus, it's already paid for, but it really is something I would have gotten for you if I would have known at the time the way you felt..." I cut off his rambling with a sweet kiss on the lips, giving him a soft smile afterwards.

"It's okay, Randy. You don't have to explain. I love it too."

A grin slowly stretched across his face, which melted my heart.