Chapter 2

"Hey, Katie. You have three young lads that would like to know if you'll go bowling with them," Wilson spoke, opening my door after a few, light knocks. I was currently in my bedroom, lying on my stomach as I got lost in a great book.

"Okay," I exclaimed, jumping up, since I knew he meant Brad, Randy, and Mark. I grabbed my warm, purple sweater before dashing to their yard.

"Hey, you ready to go," Brad wondered, oblivious to how I was out of breath.

"Yeah," I stammered, Randy smiling at me before gesturing for me to join them.

"Come on," he told me, us heading to their parents' car, since they were taking us.

The minute we got there, the boys instantly requested to have their own bowling lane, separate from their parents. Sure enough after only a matter of minutes, their dad had tried out a bowling ball that could move on its own or something, only it ended up burning a hole into the back of the wall.

"There goes another place we'll be banned from," Brad mumbled under his breath. Thankfully only their dad and mom were forced to leave, but the boys definitely didn't want to admit they were related.

It ended up that I was getting a decent score, beating out Mark and Randy so far.

"You know, you bowl pretty good for a girl," Randy complimented.

"Thanks," I smiled right before I passed Brad's numbers.

"Aw, man," Brad said under his breath, getting a gutter ball from lack of concentration.

After I ended up winning, we all decided to stop at a local diner that served pizza and great ice cream sundaes. Randy dabbed the top of his vanilla ice cream with his cherry as we silently ate our dessert.

"This has been a great day. I wish school was this fun," I admitted.

"School's not so bad," Brad shrugged.

"You're just saying that because you have a crush on Kelly Kapowski," Randy teased his brother. I was next to Brad, while Randy was across from me with Mark beside him.

"Do not," Brad snapped.

"You love her." Randy kept pestering him as I bit my lower lip to hold back a smile.

"Do not," Brad continued to argue.

"Zack Morris is kind of cute," I cut in, blushing slightly at admitting my crush.  I didn't have any other friends at school yet, so these three were the only ones I had to talk to.

"Zack Morris," Randy questioned in disbelief. "Isn't he that guy that's always getting sent to the principal's office?"

"Yeah, he calls our principal, Mr. Belding, Mr. Balding," Brad added.

"I have a teacher called Mrs. Smith," Mark cut in randomly.

"Shut up, Mark," the other two brothers ordered in annoyance.

"Besides, isn't he in Brad's grade," Randy observed.

"Yeah, but he's only 2 years older," I shyly expressed, thinking of how he was 14 while I was a measly 12.

"It doesn't matter. He's in love with Kelly," Randy pointed out.

"How did you know that," Brad rudely questioned, squinting his eyes at his younger sibling.

"Hey, I know what goes on in our school," Randy defended. We all were at the same building, since it was a junior high/high school institution. "Speaking of Kelly..." Brad and I both didn't like Randy's change in tone, us both seeing the beautiful girl entering the place. She was with her group of friends, Zack Morris not far behind. I blushed worse than before, since the guys sitting with me were aware of my crush.

"Hey Kelly," Brad shot out before he could stop himself.

"Oh, hi, Brad." Kelly gave him her award winning smile as she strolled over. "You can go ahead and get a table, okay?" She spoke to her friends one last time before reaching us.

She leaned the palms of her hands on the edge of the table, her brown hair falling over her shoulders as her perfume filled the air. Brad swallowed hard as he struggled to act natural.

"So... what brings you here?" Randy rolled his eyes at Brad's conversation starter, leaning the side of his face against his arm.

"I just came over to see you. You did great in football practice yesterday," she complimented.

"Thanks." Brad's broad grin proved he was regaining his confidence.

"What do you say we meet up after your next practice?"

"Sure."

"Great. See you then, Brad Taylor." She walked cooly away before Randy's teasing started up again, as he imitated the girl in a higher voice.

"Oh, Brad, why don't we meet up after football practice? You're so good at football!"

"Hey! Cut it out, Randy," Brad shouted, Kelly glancing in our direction from the noise, but then she was wiggling her fingers for a flirty wave.

"Let's get out of here before I get sick," Randy suggested, forcing Mark to scoot out of the red booth, so we all could leave.

Once we were back at their house, Brad jogged up the stairs to get away from his brothers, while Mark curiously checked out what their dad was working on in the garage. Randy and I both plopped onto the couch in the living room, silence filling the space.

"Brad is so weird," Randy commented.

"I don't know, I like guys already," I responded.

"Yeah, but you're a girl. Girls will try to kiss a guy in like kindergarten," he claimed, causing me to smile faintly, since that was when I got my very first crush.

"Yeah..." The only sound audible was a drill in the garage, along with occasional yelling of pain from their dad. "Hey, Randy, do you think I'm pretty?" I hesitated to ask, but I was curious.

"Why?" Randy seemed completely confused.

"It's just, I would like Zack Morris to like me even though he's older, but I don't feel as pretty as Kelly Kapowski."

"Hey, any girl that would put that much lipstick on might as well be a clown."

"Do you really mean that?"

He paused for a moment, but then he confirmed, "Yeah, I don't even get why girls need all that goop on their faces. It's gross."

I giggled a tiny bit before giving him a friendly kiss on the cheek. "Thanks, Randy."

"No problem," he stated, but I noticed his tan cheeks were a slight shade of red.

A/N: Hey guys, I hope you enjoyed this chapter. Please remember to comment, vote, and follow if you did. Thank you so much! <3  Also, I've decided to use Taylor Swift's song, "Invisible String" for the book's title, along with a quote from the song in description.  (: