Chapter 14

Jill had been sick with a cold for an entire week, and I assumed we were out of the woods by the end of it, but then my throat began getting scratchy.

I lied down on the couch as I stared at the t.v. pathetically, tucked in with a maroon blanket as my fever raged on.

"Hey, Katie, you have visitors," Jill gently informed me, standing at the foot of the couch.

"Okay...," I trailed off, shocked to see Nicole with DJ and Kimmy. "Hey, Nicole... I'm sorry for snapping at you before, and ignoring you for like two weeks."

"It's okay. How are you feeling," she wondered, cautiously sitting on the arm of the couch where my feet reached.

I sighed before answering, "Lousy. It's mostly a sore throat and fever right now, but it sucks."

"I'm sorry for not coming over here sooner," Nicole apologized.

"It's okay. You needed time. I think Brad still needs time too."

"Yeah, that's why I called before I came. I heard Brad went to the mall with Randy and Mark."

"Yeah... I miss Randy, Nicole."

"What are you talking about? You live in the same house as the guy," Kimmy bluntly interrupted.

I turned my head, realizing I forgot about the rest of my company. I had never exactly confirmed my crush on Randy to them, even though it was pretty obvious.

"Kimmy," scolded DJ, aware that I wasn't feeling well enough to get into it.

"What? It's the truth," Kimmy naively said.

They stayed for around half an hour before leaving, cutting it close since Brad and his brothers arrived only 5 minutes after.

"Hey, Katie. You feeling any better," Randy wondered, causing lost butterflies to appear.

"Yeah...," I responded in a daze, the cold medicine I had just taken making me a bit loopy.

"I know something that will help you feel better. "The Goonies," Brad stated, holding up the VHS tape. He looked proud to come up with the idea, and I smiled in return.

"Okay, that is a good movie." I coughed a little into my arm before lying back down again.

"Do you need anything, Katie," Mark checked.

I faintly shook my head before my attention was diverted to the glowing screen. Brad purposely played all of the commercials, since he knew I enjoyed that. I snuggled up to the pillow my head was against, sighing softly through my nose. After only half an hour in my eyelids had grown heavy and I was fast asleep.

When I woke up the room was completely dark except for the full moon shining through the grand windows. I hated it when I would sleep and then wake up wide awake when no one else was around. I actually was starting to feel better, but shortly after I got up I realized my nose was getting to the runny stage. I blew it before going over to the kitchen sink, washing my hands well. I didn't want to spread my germs to any of the other Taylors. I opened the fridge, scanning it for something good, but it was mostly just pot roast, a tiny bit of spaghetti, and macaroni and cheese. My stomach turned from the home cooked meals, remembering where Brad sometimes stashed the good food. I reached for a book on their shelves below their kitchen bar, pulling out the one that was secretly hollow. Inside was a couple of pack of Reese cups, and also a note.

"Hey, in case you get hungry I guess you can have both of these if you want, Katie. Hope you get better soon." -Brad

I rolled my eyes with a smile on my face just taking one of the packages, saving the other for him. That night was spent sipping on hot green tea with honey and lemon, while eating chocolate and peanut butter and catching a late night movie special, being grateful I was part of such a great family.

I smiled great big as I scored another goal, jumping up and down in excitement. Brad and I were playing a game of soccer one on one, Mark keeping score for us.

"That's 3 to 1," Mark informed us, writing on his dry erase board in black marker. He was sitting on the swing in the gazebo, watching us from a safe distance.

"Are you letting me win, Brad," I wondered.

"No way. I'm just getting warmed up," he claimed, but I rolled my eyes, going to side step him again, but I accidentally tripped over my own sneakers.

"Ow," I exclaimed, wincing when pain temporarily seared through my ankle.

"Katie, are you alright," Brad worriedly asked, dropping to his knees.

"I'm not sure," I admitted, putting my leg straight out as he carefully removed my shoe. I also folded up my jeans's pant leg, getting a better view of my ankle.

"It doesn't look swollen," he observed, carefully touching it. To be honest it didn't hurt anymore, and I assumed that I had almost pulled a muscle, but had moved just in time to prevent it. "I think you're okay. You sure you still want to play?" He looked up at me after letting go of my foot, me shoving my shoe back on.

"Yeah, I'm fine." I gave him a light smile until I realized that Randy had walked over.

"Hey, what's going on here," Randy questioned.

"Katie thought she might have hurt her ankle, but it's fine," Brad answered while looking up at his brother. He pushed himself up off the grass, helping me to stand right after by putting his arm around my waist.

"No, I meant what are you doing," Randy clarified.

"Playing soccer," Brad casually answered, going over to retrieve the ball that had rolled up against Wilson's fence.

"Why is Mark out here," Randy inquired, nodding to their younger sibling, who was watching us.

"He's keeping score," Brad replied, coming back to where we stood.

"Why didn't you ask me to join you?"

"You don't like sports."

"I don't hate them." Randy sounded a bit defensive as I looked back and forth between them during their conversation.

"You never want to play, except for like when we were kids." Brad was twirling the soccer ball between his hands as he talked.

"You could've at least asked."

"Why does it matter? You were at the mall with Michelle anyway." Brad brushed past his brother's shoulder, seeming a tiny bit annoyed by his attitude.

Randy grew quiet after his sibling's last remark, me wondering if he was going to speak again. "I thought Katie didn't like sports either."

"What's with the third degree?" Brad was definitely growing more upset.

"Nothing, just wondered," Randy shrugged, the tension filling the air.

"What? Are you upset because I'm playing with Katie," Brad guessed, causing his brother to scrunch up his face horribly.

"No. I just wondered, okay?!" I watched as Randy stormed off, heading straight for the basement.

I sighed through my nose as the craziest explanation came to mind. Was Randy jealous of me spending time with Brad? Did he still like me after all?

A/N: Hey guys, I love writing for this story so much. <3 I hope you enjoyed this chapter. Please remember to comment, vote, and follow if you did. Thank you so much! <3