Chapter 13

"I hate this," I stated to Nicole one afternoon when I was on the phone. "Ever since you and Brad broke up I have to make sure he's not around when we talk, and you can't even come over here anymore."

"I'm sorry, Katie, but I just don't think I can face him."

"So, are you with Cory now," I dully asked, checking the area again for other people.

"Actually yeah. I mean, we're taking things slow, but we are a couple now."

"Great," I sarcastically said.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

I sighed before explaining, "Nicole, I can't deny that Cory is a really great guy. He's sweet, innocent, polite, but you really hurt Brad and when any of the Taylors get hurt I feel it. They're like my family now."

"I know, but who else am I supposed to talk about Cory with?"

"I don't know, why don't you call up DJ or even Kimmy," I slightly snapped, growing annoyed by being in the middle of all this.

"Maybe I will," she responded, sounding a bit angry. In the next minute the line clicked dead, and I let out a loud sigh before seeing Jill dragging Randy towards the garage's door from the kitchen.

"Where are you two going," I wondered.

"The mall. Randy needs new pants," Jill informed me.

"Mom... No one goes shopping with their mom at this age," Randy complained.

"Now, come on, it won't be that bad," Jill defended.

"Can I go with you guys? I have to get some new jeans too," I admitted.

"Sure, maybe you can get Randy to cooperate better."

I climbed into the car after Randy in the back, us just sitting in silence with the middle seat between us. Both of us were staring out the window, just lost in our thoughts. Eventually his mom pulled into the mall parking lot.

I waited patiently as his mom assisted him in finding pants that would fit.

"Mom," he exclaimed when she opened the door when he was just finishing changing his jeans.

"What? Like I haven't seen you before," she sarcastically said. "Now, let me see if they fit." She started jiggling them to check, causing Randy to grow even more embarrassed.

That's when Michelle showed up, instantly spotting Randy. "Hey, Randy."

"Oh, hey, Michelle, my mom's not helping me to buy my pants..." He then proceeded to ramble as his mom helped him out by claiming she had been shopping in a totally different part of the store.

When the worker came by and asked, "Is this the kind of underwear you wanted for your boy," I could tell that Randy was about to die right on the spot, Michelle making a weird face.

Eventually she drifted away with her friend, Randy reluctantly walking with me to the store I needed to shop in. His mom had stopped to grab a snack somewhere else to give him some space.

"I can't believe this," he expressed as we ventured through the main area of the building. "Why does Mom think that she needs to treat me like some little kid?"

"I don't know. I'm sorry you got embarrassed, Randy," I genuinely told him.

"Now Michelle will never talk to me again." He appeared glum as we finally reached the correct store.

"I'm sorry you have to suffer through this too," I apologized.

"That's okay. At least I'm nowhere close to mom right now."