Newbies

Third Person Perspective

A few weeks have gone by since joining the scouts. Ichika has grown more fond of Eren and his friends, eating in the dining hall with them and trying to be near them when training. Armin noticed ever since graduation, Ichika was a lot quieter than before. 

She got extra annoyed with Jean's flirty comments and would make a weird face when she saw Reiner hanging around Annie. Ichika wouldn't show any other emotions than those in the day time. At night, she'd silently cry herself to sleep, wishing she had her daughter in her arms again.

She'd write notes every day to her daughter. Although she couldn't send them out just yet, she held onto them in case she wouldn't see Sakura again. She wanted to tell Sakura the truth, about the titans, what happened to her grandfather, but she would scare her daughter away even more.

Today, the scout trainees were going up on Wall Maria. Ichika was watching Sasha gawk over the meat she stole when she heard an explosion on the other side of the wall. When she turned away from the city, she saw it. The Colossal Titan. A big gust of hot wind knocked the training scout members off the wall, using their ODM grapples to hook onto the wall.

"They are going to get through!" Eren shouted pointing at the giant hole in the wall. Ichika looks beside her to see Eren jump up and strike the Titan, but he disappears before Eren can cut through his nape. 

"Titans!" Armin yells so everyone on their side of the wall can hear him. Ichika lets out a nervous breath to help her calm down when she sees everyone move to the top of different buildings below.

They would have to help the current civilians evacuate while they held off the titans. Ichika dropped down next to her squad, staring at Marco who was staring at Jean, waiting for what the next phase would be.

"We have to let the people evacuate. Hold off the titans and try not to get killed!" All of his members showed him respect by nodding their heads and soaring towards the titans entering the large hole. 

Ichika was the first to jump off the roof and fly towards a titan heading towards the citizens. She used her gas to fly between buildings as fast as she could. Once Ichika was close enough to see the titan was roughly 10 meters tall, she used her grapple to hook onto the back of its nape and slice it as soon as she got the chance.

Her first titan kill.

She watched as the blood on her jacket evaporated and the titan fell to the ground. She continued on her journey, killing 6 more small titans on the way. Once she saw the people were clustered together by the entrance, she pulled back closer to the edge of the wall to scout out more titans. 

That's when she saw a motionless Armin sitting on the roof of a building with a terrified expression on his face. Even though she didn't know the group too well, she did care for her fellow scout members as if they were her own kids. Ichika turned to the direction he was in and went to comfort him.

"Armin, are you okay?" She looked up and down his body to see if he had any injuries. She couldn't find any then gave him a questionable look.

"Eren, he-" Armin was cut off when his breath got caught in his throat. She understood what he was feeling and held him into an embrace. 

"It's okay, you don't have to finish." She didn't want to know what really happened, she lost her family to titans and Armin is probably feeling the same grieving feeling she did.

"Has anyone told-" Before Ichika finished, she saw Mikasa standing a few meters away, she heard what happened, but couldn't accept the thought that Eren was dead. Ichika helped Armin stand up, since she was smaller than him, he lightly hovered over her shoulder in the process. She didn't mind of course, she was one of the smallest girls in their graduating class afterall.

A few minutes settled in and everyone thought of what our next move should be. Ichika went around everyone left in the few squads around her's gas tanks, seeing most of them were almost empty. When she got around to Reiner and Annie, she didn't even bother to check. Either they were close to empty or they could get through on their own. 

"We have to head back to HQ and refill on gas," Ichika spoke looking at the building swarming with titans. She worried about the people inside but was blessed that Kaiyo and Sakura were not even close to them. 

"How are we going to get there with all those titans?" Armin finally spoke after the events that happened. They sat in silence for a few seconds before hearing a breathless Mikasa grapple back up to the roof.

"That is how we will get there." She pointed at the 15-meter titan who was biting the nape of a titan. "He's abnormal, but he doesn't interest himself in humans."

"We could lure him towards the HQ building and refill our gas in there," Armin suggests and everyone stared at him and Mikasa like they were crazy, everyone except Ichika and Reiner.

"Let's do it." They both said at the same time, Ichika drilling daggers with her stare.

"We need to put our faith in this, or else we won't survive this. It's a slim chance, but it's better than any chance we got." Ichika put her hand on Armin and Mikasa's shoulders, giving everyone a reassuring nod. 

"To save fuel, head straight to the building. Try not to engage in any titans unless it's necessary. Mikasa will lure the abnormal towards the titans around the building and we go in from there." Jean laid out the plan to everyone and they all headed towards Headquarters. 

After landing on a roof nearby, they waited for the loud footsteps coming from the abnormal titan lead by Mikasa to fight the titans. Seconds later, it started throwing titans off of the building, giving us an entry point.

"Everyone move in!" Jean led the squad by grappling through one of the windows that was on the opposite side of the titans. Ichika jumped through the window next to him, opening another hole for their teammates. 

She felt a sharp cut cross her face, not realizing a piece of glass and cut across her cheek. She ignored the small sting and continued to help her squad members inside. Soon after, Ichika helped guide the team to the tanks of gas located in the basement with the help of Armin's plan to take out those titans. 

Ichika walked up to her fellow squadmates and checked their tanks. When she got up to Marco, he made a silly face at her, letting her face soften up at him. They hadn't spent much time together because Ichika thought Jean was very annoying, but Marco was such a sweet guy. 

"Your face is bleeding," Marco said, standing up and pulling a handkerchief from his jacket pocket.

"It's alright Marco, it's just a little cut." Ichika said, but Marco continued wha the was doing and gently wiped off the blood from her face.

"Oh, just let me clean the blood off. We wouldn't your pretty face all messed up, right?" He said sweetly, wiping the last bit of blood from her face.

"Thank you, Marco. I appreciate it." She said, smiling up at him.

It was as if he was one of her own. He'd love Sakura, I should introduce them when the time comes, she thought.

Once everyone refilled their gas canisters, they saw the abnormal titan put up its last fight before collapsing, emitting a large amount of steam. But, something was different, a body came out of the nape of the fallen titan.

A boy,

Eren...