A Relieving Ending

"Be back in before the sun goes down, I want you both back for dinner." Ichika said, patting the heads of her two children.

"Yes mom!" The twins said, running out of the front door to run in the fields.

It had been about 2 months since Ichika had Levi dismiss her from Scout duties, letting her happily live on the field outside of where she once lived. She was no longer afraid of the titans and enjoyed being with her family.

The only flaw was abandoning everyone, especially Levi. She begged herself to let him come, but humanity needed him more than she did. That's what she kept telling herself. A few weeks after Ichika left, she began to feel very sick, but hid it from her children. After going to visit a doctor, the news she got shocked her, but kept it private.

No one knew what was wrong with her except for Ichika herself and it was too late to tell anyone. She already had the life she wanted, but it did come to cost. 

In the kitchen, Ichika put a pot of water on the stove to boil potatoes for dinner that she bought at the market a few days prior. She knew her children were responsible to come home at the time she asked, meaning she could plan dinner accordingly.

Toshiro truly warmed up to his mother quickly which was a great relief. As much as he wanted to be the Armored titan's new successor, he'd rather be with his sister instead. She was the most important thing to him and he wouldn't deny it. He easily began to trust his mother who didn't abuse that trust, he truly was glad to have her back.

She fulfilled all the promises she gave. The twins both got their own bedroom, having both of their rooms right next to each other. He got the love from his mother that she promised she'd give him and he was truly happy, even without his father.

It took a bit to get used to, but he spent a majority of his time with Sakura and it made him happy. They were all happy, so they thought. Sakura knew how her mother was feeling, that loneliness that was once filled was now gone and she had to take care of her kids by herself. Without her brother and without Levi.

This was the best decision, so she thought. Her kids were safe and happy, that's all that mattered to her. Levi promised her protection in the case that Reiner did in fact come back, but as the days past, she grew more hopeful about the peace she had now would be ever lasting.

Once dinner was almost finished, Ichika heard the twins running back into the house laughing at one another.

"Mom, I didn't know we were having guests over today." Sakura said with a big smile on her face. Her mother's face became serious, gripping the wooden spoon in her hand tightly.

"It's just us for dinner, blossom. Is there someone outside?" Ichika raised the spoon above her head as if he was going to throw it when she heard footsteps coming up their wooden porch.

"He said he's here for you, ma." Toshiro said, grabbing his sister's arm and taking her upstairs into their rooms. Ichika reached for the other spoon on the counter, but stopped when she saw a familiar figure at the door.

"Were you intending to throw that at me?" Ichika's eyes widened at him, dropping the spoon and stood there frozen in place. "I hope you don't beat all your guests with damn spoons."

"Levi," She mumbled, running up to him and wrapping her arms around his neck. She closed her eyes and rested her chin on his shoulder. His scent was just how she remembered and he was just as warm as the first time he held her.

"Hope you don't mind my intrusion." He wrapped his arms around her waist and gently placed a kiss on her head. "I've missed you too, brat." The name made her lightly giggle, sending small vibrations through his arm.