Sweet Tooth - 2 (Sugawara)

Chapter 2

It had been a couple weeks since that study session with Sugawara and Sawamura. My relationship with the two of them changed slightly as well. They greeted me everyday, and would include me in a few conversations on our breaks sometimes. I even got to know the third person of their trio, Azumane Asahi, who surprisingly wasn't as scary as he looked.

Today I was left to entertain myself though. The boys said something about their underclassmen, but I wasn't really involved with that talk.

So, I decided to take a walk around the school to clear my head. My mind kept going back to the incident in my living room. Suga had called me cute, but I couldn't understand why. He was most likely just being nice, but my dumb self kept thinking or wanting to think that it meant more. The expression on his face before Daichi had walked in threw me off too. 

"He was just being nice." I say out loud in hopes my heart would get it.

I had never heard Suga speak bad about anyone, and to have complimented me in such a way was just his nature. He probably called all the girls cute. Still, that didn't explain the way he stared at me.

"No way man, you would have to pay me 10 million yen to ask her out."

I peeked over my shoulder to see two guys walking down the hall towards me. They looked to be younger than me, and I didn't recognize them as classmates. Maybe they were second years?

"Seriously, I wouldn't be caught dead walking down the street with a girl like that." The other one snickered.

My whole body froze in place. I could hear my heart inside of my chest as it sped up. Were they talking about me?

"It's like walking next to a hippo." The other one said in a low whisper as they passed me. The other one laughed not bothering to hide it.

I felt the tears pool up in my eyes. No, I'm not going to cry. They probably weren't even talking about me. They were probably talking about someone else. Right?

As hard as I tried to convince myself that I wasn't the topic of their conversation my thoughts kept swirling around. Is that how Suga saw me? Was he just too nice to say it? Or did he keep it to himself needing me to help him study?

Suddenly, it was almost like I couldn't breathe, as if the air around me was suffocating me. I didn't want to be here. I didn't want anyone to see me like this.

I felt the hot stream of tears roll down my face, and I finally got myself to move. I had to get out. All I wanted was to go home and crawl into bed. I just wanted to shut out the world and never hear from it again.

"(Y/n)-san?" Someone called out to me as I passed them, but I ignored them trying to leave.

"Oi, wait!" They called out again, and this time I recognized it as Suga.

No, not him. I didn't want him seeing me like this. Especially with the way I was feeling. I kept walking and wiped at my face to clear the tears, but to no avail.

"Hey, are you okay? What happened?" Suga caught up to me, and stepped in front of me to stop my escape.

"Please, just leave me alone." I said trying to step around him while hiding my face, but he lifted his hands to stop me.

"(Y/n)-san, tell me what happened. Why are you crying?" He asked, the tone in his voice sounding sincere.

"It's nothing." I reply, feeling more tears start to spill, and I bite my lip to keep me from sobbing.

This was so stupid. Worse things have been said about me, and to me, so why was I crying like this?

"No it's not, you wouldn't be crying for nothing." He argued.