F O R T Y - T H R E E

::::

"god damnit jeonghan, you were right. liking minho was a huge mistake," jisung sighed, plopping himself on the couch in his neighbors house; the house he's been in since he was younger. jeonghan frowned, confused as to why the once-stubborn jisung has a different mindset all of a sudden.

"oh? what happened?" jeongin confusedly questioned.

"i had a bad reality check," jisung angrily sighed, "i thought we were making so much progress. he seemed so happy to be around me outside of therapy, and i was thrilled to see him too. but i never noticed that i haven't been helping him cope with things, find out what's going on, or get him to open up as much as i had thought i did."

jeonghan frowned, sad that jisung has to put aside what could have been a beautiful relationship. "i mean, if you get him a new therapist, then you can see him outside of therapy."

"i can't do that now. he's gotten too comfortable around me, it would take ages for him to open up to someone completely new. and i think that since i'm around his age, it makes it more relatable. i don't know many therapists here, what if the older ones just excuse his feelings as teenage hormones? he'll feel neglected and-"

jeonghan cut him off, "i get it, sung. you want him to be happy, and that's understandable."

the older paused, and jisung could tell he was gonna say something he wouldn't like. he mentally prepared himself.

"but, if you want to have something with him, you have to learn to balance your work life with your personal life. you have to keep in mind this isn't a mentally stable person. what happens outside of therapy can affect what happens inside of therapy. and that could hurt his mental state even more."

jisung nodded, though he already knew about all of that. he's been doing lots of thinking recently.

"i know, i know. but i just have never really been in a relationship, and i don't want to hurt him or screw anything up. i know we aren't even dating yet, but this is the first person i've really had such strong feelings for, and i won't want to wreck it."

jeonghan got up from the couch, walking into the kitchen to get some food. jisung followed along, waiting for his friends answer.

"jisung, i'm gonna put it simple. too afraid of being in a real relationship? then don't be in one. you have to do what's best for yourself and minho, and if not seeing him outside of therapy is what will help him, then so be it. if getting him a new therapist that he could possibly be uncomfortable with, but you guys get into a relationship, then fine too. but i think we both know what the better answer is."

jisung sighed, hating this stupid situation. how could he have let himself fall for minho like this?

the younger walked over to his friend, looking at him seriously into his eyes, "my top priority is minho's happiness. i want to do whatever i can to make sure he gets the help he needs. but what about me? i don't think shutting out my own feelings is going to make anything better."

jeonghan frowned, not really thinking about that, "crap, you're right. i want you to be happy too."

"thank you so much for the advice, it was life changing," jisung sarcastically spoke, rolling his eyes, "we need to come up with a way for both of us to be happy. but this is so frustrating! what do i do!"

jisung was getting too overwhelmed. man, how could i have screwed up this fucking badly? it seems as if there are no good solutions.

jisung sat down, plopping his head in his hands, "come on, ji. think! what can we do?"

"how about this," jeonghan sat back down next to his stressed little friend, "for the next couple of months, work on getting minho's mental health better. then when you think he's in a stable place, then go for the relationship. i'm not saying you never will end up with him. i'm just saying, it may take time. and you're a smart kid, and a professional. you'll know when it's time."

jisung let out a heavy sigh, knowing jeonghan was right. the younger thought about it, and it seems to be a decent plan.

now all he has to do is hope things work out for the best.

because you'll know when it's time.

~

i almost cut this chapter from the book because it felt unnecessary. but it's okay, i spent an hour on it so might as well 🤡