T W E N T Y - E I G H T

::::

minho was pretending to do his homework on a boring afternoon a few hours after school ended. truth is, he didn't pay enough attention in class to even know how to do the work. and the doodles of spongebob characters where his notes should be aren't much help.

suddenly, minho heard a knock on his door, and soon saw it slowly opening. he turned around in his spinny chair to see his mom, and she looked stressed. she had her phone in between her shoulder and ear, and a frown on her face.

"minho? i need a big favor," she whispered, and minho got up from his chair and walked over to her so he could hear his mother speak better.

"i'm super caught up in work, but need to get to the store to buy things for dinner. here's the list and some money, can you run to the supermarket and get them for me, please?"

minho would rather shove the pencil through his eyeball than go out in a public store alone. that place is the kingdom of socializing, something minho dreads.

"b-but i'm doing homework?" he lied, hoping his mom would just go herself, though he knew he was doomed. minho's mothers job can be very stressful.

"please?" she begged, and minho sighed, giving in. he grabbed the list and cash, threw on a jacket while shoving them in his pocket, and picked up his phone. then he began walking to the store.

yeah, he could have driven, but he prefers walking in the fresh, cold january air a lot better.

once minho got to the store, he stood frozen in his tracks, just staring at the giant place. minho saw so many people walking in and out with tons bags and shopping carts, and he didn't know if he actually had the guts to walk in by himself.

it felt like the first day of high school all over again. lots of people, afraid to make contact with them or stand in their way. minho checked his phone, and it was almost five o'clock, and the sun was just beginning to start setting. if he doesn't hurry, his mom not only will be pissed, but disappointed.

just go and get it over with.

minho gulped, taking a step backwards every time he managed to take one forward. he felt pathetic, and people were definitely giving him confused looks as they walked passed.

"minho?"

minho heard his name being called, but he couldn't get himself to look at whoever it was. he didn't realize it was jisung until the other was standing in front of him. 

"you good?"

minho snapped back into reality, and made eye contact with jisung. "oh! y-yeah i'm fine, i'm just about to go grocery shopping f-for my mom."

"you've been standing there for five minutes, min."

minho nervously laughed, bending down while embarrassedly putting his hands on his knees to catch his breath. jisung put his hand on the others shoulder for comfort.

"want me to come with you?" jisung offered, catching minho's attention, "i have nothing to do, so it's not a problem."

"i...i mean i-if you don't mind?"

jisung smiled, grabbing minho's hand and interlocking their fingers. minho's heart began beating harshly against his chest as the two walked through the doors, bringing them inside.

"you'll be fine," jisung whispered, and minho's knees suddenly felt weak. he squeezed jisung's hand as he took out the list with his free hand. they headed for the first aisle, avoiding communication with as many people as possible.

minho felt himself tense less and less as time went by. he adjusted to being around so many people at once, and got quite comfortable with jisung's hand against his. it was calming, knowing he had someone right by his side throughout this stressful chore.

"that all?" jisung asked, once they had scratched everything off on the list. minho placed the last item in the basket that jisung held in his free hand. he nodded, relived.

they both got on line for the cash register, having too many items to do self checkout. minho tightened his grip on jisung's hand as they got closer step by step, and at one point it got so tight jisung had to refrain from letting out a loud, painful squeak.

"ah, sorry," minho apologized, face becoming a tomato. he bit his lip, loosening his grip.

"it's fine, how are you doing?" they were next up to checkout, and the couple in front of them were nearly done.

"i feel sick," minho replied, as his stomach twisted and he started to heat up. he was suddenly grateful it was their turn, it gave him an excuse to let go of jisung before his hands got all sweaty.

once the lady was done scanning the items, minho pulled out the money his mother gave him. "how much is it?" he asked again, panning his eyes from the money in his palms to the screen.

"$54.25"

"i-i'm short ten dollars." he mumbled, nobody being able to hear him. he started desperately feeling inside his pockets, hoping he had some extra change as he glanced behind him, seeing the line gradually get longer. he panicked, realizing he's holding everyone up.

fuck, fuck, fuck.

"uhh- i don't h-have..." minho couldn't get the words out, and he could tell the cashier was getting impatient as well as the rest of the line. it only made him more panicky, and unable to focus.

shit! what am i gonna do, what am i gonna do?!

to his advantage, jisung handed the extra money to the cashier, finishing off their shopping experience. the two grabbed the bags, and quickly made their way out of the supermarket.

once they were long gone, minho let out a big breath, relaxing. he dropped his bags, feeling exhausted from the only half hour trip.

"thank god that's over," he spoke, voice low, "thanks for saving me back there."

jisung scoffed, playfully punching the others arm, "it was no problem!"

jisung noticed how shaken up the other was, so he pulled him into a hug. minho wrapped his arms around the other, absolutely loving the feeling of jisung's hold on him. it felt safe, foreign...amazing.

minho never wanted to let go.

~

i've been prewriting this story a lot recently, ehehe i got plansss 👀

q: what other kpop groups do you stan besides stray kids? (i didn't ask this already did i?-)

a: a lot; ateez, itzy, seventeen, twice, dreamcatcher, txt...a lot more that i'm too lazy to type cjskfks