Chapter 20

~*~*~Liam’s POV~*~*~

Today is January 20th, exactly 6 months and a day since I had last seen Hayley. All this guilt I’ve been feeling has been eating me up inside these last few months. What kind of a jerk am I for just leaving her like that? Especially after everything that’s happened. I check her Twitter feed every day, and they’ve just been getting sadder and sadder as the months stretched on. I don’t know if it’s because of me, or the fact that Maya and her dad have been in and out of either the hospital or rehab. Ever since the Maya incident, Maya’s taken to cutting herself, and her parents are putting her through a rehab program.

“Are you looking at Hayley’s twitter again Liam?” Niall asked, coming from his bed into the lounge area of the tour bus. We were traveling to our last spot on the tour, Barclays Center in New York; we’re going to be close to where we met Hayley. I’m nervous for this last stop in our US tour. What if I run into Hayley there?

“Yeah,” I sighed, “I just can’t get her out of my head. I know I’m back with Dani, which isn’t a bad thing, but I miss her. I know it sounds stupid, but I can’t help it.” I ran my fingers over my head, the tips of my hair scraping against my palm.

“Dude, you know there’s a way to fix this, right?” Niall said, sitting down next to me with a bag of Chex Mix in his hand.

“There is?” I couldn’t think of a solution to this problem other than hunting her down to apologize to her, which I did not want to do. I don’t think I could face her hating me. At least if I don’t see her, there’s no way for me to know if she does in fact hate me.

“Yeah. You can try to talk to her. Maybe you can even meet up with her somewhere. C’mon dude, what have you got to lose?”

“I dunno Niall. If I were her, I’d be pretty pissed a me. Plus, I don’t think I can take her being angry at me.”

You can’t take it? Liam, think about what she’s been through in the past few months. I mean, seriously, you going to see her isn’t anywhere close to what she’s been going through.”

“Good point. I just sounded like a conceited jerk didn’t I?”

“Pretty much, mate.” Niall said, shoving a handful of Chex Mix into his mouth.

“I guess I’ll give it a try. I mean, what’s she gonna do? Kill me through the phone?” I asked jokingly. Niall started laughing in mid-chew. He ended up spraying Chex Mix all over the couches, and over Zayn sleeping on the other couch.

“What the bloody hell was that for?!” Zayn yelled, getting up.

“Whoa! Zayn, I think that’s the fastest you’ve ever woken up! Congrats man!” I said, a smile breaking out over my face.

“Whatever.” Zayn mumbled, glaring at me before going back to sleep. I exited out of the twitter app on my phone. I pulled up my contacts and scrolled to Hayley’s number.

“I’m not sure I can do this Niall.”

“C’mon, mate! You can do it! When’s a better time than now? I mean, it’s unlikely that you’ll see her at our concert, so why not?”

“You make a good point,” I sighed, “Well, here goes nothing.” I pressed ‘call’ and waited as I heard the dial tone ring.

“Hello?” A voice answered.

“Hayley?” I asked, not wanting it to be her. I was wishing that she changed her number, or that I had the wrong number saved, but alas the universe was not my friend today.

“Who’s calling?” She asked. Her voice reminded me of the day we spent together, and how happy I’d been that I’d finally met her, the girl who was able to bring me out of my depression.