Chapter 6

Massimo

Her eyes rounded and her mouth agape. She obviously didn't expect me to say that.

"Ms. Canzano, I asked..."

"I heard you," she said interrupting me. "I...why?" She asked.

I raised my eyebrows at her question. "What do you mean why?"

"You were so convinced that I wasn't right for the job, and now you're offering me the job...I mean. What made you change your mind?"

"Let's face it Ms. Canzano..."

"Ara, call me Ara," she said interrupting me again.

"Ms. Canzano, do you make a habit of interrupting people while they are speaking?" I asked her with a smirk.

She crinkled her forehead. "Call me Ara, Mr. Anastasi," she said ignoring my question.

"As I was saying, to answer your question. I'm having trouble finding a nanny. You were good with her. I have never seen her open up to a stranger the way she did with you. Like I said, my daughter and her well-being is my priority. You seem to be good for her, so I'm willing to give you a chance, Arabella," I said.

She looked at me with hesitation. Then she seemed to be lost in thought. I was about to say something when she opened her mouth and said, "so you're admitting you were wrong?" She asked.

"Wrong?" I parroted back.

"U-huh, you kept saying that I was not right for the job, that I'm over qualified and everything, and now you're saying that I'm good for your daughter; so that means you're admitting you're wrong. And when someone's wrong about something, they offer an apology," she said.

"I am not apologizing, and I did not say I was wrong," I said incredulously.

"Hhmp," she said, while folding her arms across her chest and raising her eyebrows at me.

This woman is driving me insane.

She wants me to apologize to her? What the hell for? Massimo Anastasi is never wrong and he never apologizes.

We stared each other down. Neither of us backing down.

"This is ridiculous, I am not saying sorry," I said.

"You were a jerk. You made me feel like I'm not good enough and you questioned my abilities," she said.

"If I remember correctly, I said you were overqualified, and I simply told you that your skills will be better off at an establishment much bigger than what I am offering. How is that wrong? I did not question your abilities. I simply implied that you're much too skilled to just be a nanny," I said.

"A job is a job Mr. Anastasi. A nanny is an honourable job," she said stubbornly.

I waved my hand in defeat. "Dio. I will never win with you. I offer you a job and you accuse me of being a jerk," I said.

"Because you are...were..." She said.

"Fine, I apologize for hurting your delicate feelings. Now can we focus on what's important here?" I said in exasperation.

"I don't appreciate the sarcasm!" She said stubbornly, while glaring at me, with her arms across her chest.

"You difficult woman! I apologize and you accuse me of being sarcastic . Can I do no right in your eyes?"

"If you're going to say sorry, you should mean it," she said, staring me down.

"Mio dio. Tu sei la donna più esasperante, frustrante!" My god, you are the most frustrating, infuriating woman!